[OT] GeForce Experience Update performance after Spectre

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

01 January 2018
[OT] GeForce Experience Update performance after Spectre

I was wondering if anyone has updated to the latest Geforce drivers yet, now that the Spectre update is available.
Theoretically, Meltdown and Spectre patches might decrease CPU performance (both on Intel and Spectre for AMD only afaik), therefore I wonder if a similar situation would happen with the GPU patches too.

Last edited by dsp_418 : 01 January 2018 at 12:17 AM.

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by dsp_418: I was wondering if anyone has updated to the latest Geforce drivers yet, now that the Spectre update is available.
Theoretically, Meltdown and Spectre patches might decrease CPU performance (both on Intel and Spectre for AMD only afaik), therefore I wonder if a similar situation would happen with the GPU patches too.
I'm unclear if GPU performance is impacted or only read-write performance.

I wouldn't guess GPU performance or CPU rendering will take a hit, but again...perhaps someone here more enlightened can advise.

01 January 2018
According to this article (sorry, only in german) CEO from NVIDIA states that due to the different architecture their GPUs are not affected by either of the two threats. Claims that there was only a driver flaw in the last package which could be used by spectre and that the flaw is now fixed...

good news for NVIDIA owners.
cheers,
sebastian

01 January 2018
The greatest issue with an Nvidia GPU being compromised by such a flaw might be that the card was displaying a CAD model of a product design that your client wants to keep confidential, and someone remotely sucks the 3D model data out of the GPU.

Certainly an issue if its a multi million dollar product. But then again, a PC such a CAD model is worked on should be airgapped to begin with - no internet connection and no wifi in the room.

Unless of course there is a way to compromise the GPU in such a way that it allows a hacker to then compromise other things - running software, the OS, CPU, RAM and so forth.

reply share thread