Baked SSS in textures?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

01 January 2018
Baked SSS in textures?

Please forgive my ignorance as I've been under a rock for a while. I've got a really nice organic looking rendering in Cinema and now I'd like to recreate that look in Unity. It's a bit of a hassle to get SSS to work in Unity so I'd rather bake it into the textures. Is there a way that I can bake or export a rendered version with SSS in the color maps that I can load into Unity? I know this sounds bizarre. 

Thanks everyone.
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

01 January 2018
SSS is the scattering of light under the surface of an object. What you see is light entering the object, getting scattered in it and exiting the object again. This means that you can not simply reproduce the effect with a flat texture, but you need either volume rendering or a fake using emission/luminace. Even if you fake it with a baked emission you will not get the real effect since you can‘t reproduce changes in lighting conditions with baked maps.

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by Srek: SSS is the scattering of light under the surface of an object. What you see is light entering the object, getting scattered in it and exiting the object again. This means that you can not simply reproduce the effect with a flat texture, but you need either volume rendering or a fake using emission/luminace. Even if you fake it with a baked emission you will not get the real effect since you can‘t reproduce changes in lighting conditions with baked maps.
Yeah, I was hoping someone with more Unity knowledge had a magic solution . You *can* do SSS in Unity, it's just not very easy and a lot of effects like that don't work in VR. 

Thanks Srek. 
HyperactiveVR

01 January 2018
One thing you can do as a fake is create a map based on the displacement or surface height of the objects surface. 
I've done this in c4d by painting vertex maps where there are peaks on the surface and loading that into the luminance channel. 
If you happen to be using a displacement map (or noise in displacement)  to affect height then you can load that same map into luminance channel  (say with a colorizer to create the color gradient you want).

Paul E has a handy plugin that outputs vertex maps based on surface height (and other parameters) that can help you with this.

There is also the reversed AO feature you can load into your luminance

But as Srek says it will never be true SSS.

01 January 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUZtL1BVqY0

You can bake this out and load into luminance channel

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by JoelDubin: One thing you can do as a fake is create a map based on the displacement or surface height of the objects surface. 
I've done this in c4d by painting vertex maps where there are peaks on the surface and loading that into the luminance channel. 
If you happen to be using a displacement map (or noise in displacement)  to affect height then you can load that same map into luminance channel  (say with a colorizer to create the color gradient you want).

Paul E has a handy plugin that outputs vertex maps based on surface height (and other parameters) that can help you with this.

There is also the reversed AO feature you can load into your luminance

But as Srek says it will never be true SSS.
Thanks Joel, and I love that idea (vertex maps are one of the best things ever in cinema) but if I go that route it will have to be a hand painted map for the luminance because what I'm trying to achieve isn't a closeup detail thing in this case, more of a pulled out shot. See attached.

I think I'm going to just frustrate myself unless it's a true SSS solution, like you guys said. 
HyperactiveVR

01 January 2018
Originally Posted by JoelDubin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUZtL1BVqY0

You can bake this out and load into luminance channel
That's awesome, I'm going to give that a go. Thanks man. 
HyperactiveVR

reply share thread