Martin Hamilton- Jason Martin's class project

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

2 Weeks Ago
A few more updates on the lighting setups I want to use

2 Weeks Ago
Hi everyone, as I start finishing up this character I was wondering what you all thought of this setup for when I post online.Also what do you think of the cave type environment for a dramatic scene?

2 Weeks Ago
Hey Martin! Nice progress with the lighting setup. A few technical notes to keep in mind: the strong warm light source suggest like a brush fire or fire pit i.e.

(Reference:https://www.timesofisrael.com/human...new-study-says/)

Note the skin tones show off a warm red-orange glow with deep shadows. With that being said, let's take a look at an alternative lighting setup with achiaroscuro painting by Peter Paul Rubens. This is somewhat along the lines of what I believe you're shooting for:

(Reference: Peter Paul Rubens - Old Woman with a Basket)

Artistically, I think if you can combine real world knowledge of lighting with referencing the masters, I think you can definitely push this illustration further. Lastly, I think the cave idea is worthwhile to explore and since this feels like more of a humanoid character piece, go try out a vertical crop (portrait) and you don't have to worry too much about the environment design. And one more note! (I promise-last one bud ) If you really want to turn this into portfolio piece, reference Jason Martin or Ian Joyner and see how they crop and frame their humanoid characters. Reference how they setup their composition and what they leave in and leave out. That's the art juice Martin. Keep up the solid progress man!

2 Weeks Ago
Wow thank you so much for the reference and great advice Michael. I actually just switched to a moonlight lit idea, like he just came out of a cave. Trying to refrence Jason's and Ian's work now to get more ideas about how to crop my character.

2 Weeks Ago
Another update on the dramatic scene. Zoomed in even closer with a really deep red fill light and bright blue key.

Also thinking of this layout for the turnarround

2 Weeks Ago
Made a complete portrait shot of my character because that's what Jason and Ian do on their characters haha

2 Weeks Ago
Dope!!! Yea that's what I'm talking about Martin. I might be subjective, but that portrait framing is so well done. Even when I do the squint test, your value balance (light vs. dark) feel good. I also can focus more on the character too. What's next for this character Martin? Do you still want to push the overall design further or maybe play with the pose a little bit more?

2 Weeks Ago
Thanks Michael, I'm pretty much finished with this character and have plans to post everything online tomorrow. I've been slightly tweaking it in photoshops still, adding soft lights to highlight some areas and darker lights to accentuate the color differences. Also got some basic light images of him.

reply share thread