Silo Modeling Tips

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

11 November 2015
Silo Modeling Tips

It struck me that there is a lot about Silo3D not easily discovered on this forum. Most of the good stuff is in the archived forum that Nevercenter abandoned. It seems we need a place to post modeling tips for newer users or those who use it irregularly. Hopefully we can load this up with plenty of information for everyone to benefit.

11 November 2015
I'll start off.

Tip one: When working with complex objects, or objects that may not be easily understood because of the way Silo lights the scene, I like to assign a material after blocking out the initial shape. Any changes made will show up with the default color and you can keep track of your modifications as you work. When finished you can always reassign a new material or the existing one and your new work will be finished.

To clarify here is an example;
In this image I was adding new faces with the bridge command but the shading made it a bit confusing. Rather than trying to rotate and shift my view to try and see what is going on I used the materials trick. This way I can keep track of any geometry I create whether it's new faces created manually, from a bevel or bridge, etc. Any new geometry is assigned the default material thus making it easy to differentiate from the existing geometry.

Last edited by makit3d : 12 December 2016 at 05:19 PM.

11 November 2015
Tip two: This is one that is probably documented well in the Silo help files but I didn't know when I was first using Silo. It was actually quite some time later that I stumbled on it by accident.

If you have several objects you are moving you can change the origin of them all to make it easy to snap to a specific point in your work (or to another object).

Select all the object you wish to move.

Press the key to go into Manipulator Edit Mode (near the bottom of the Selection menu). I have changed my keyboard shortcuts and yours will certainly be different.

When in Manipulator Edit Mode choose the part of the model that will be used to relocate our objects. In this particular case I am going to use the Vertex Mode (A default) and pick the vertex that will let me position all my objects where I want them. You can just as easily chose an Edge or Face. Whatever works best for you or for your work.

THE IMPORTANT PART. Press the key for Object Selection Mode! (Default is F key.) If you don't you will lose your selection for snapping and it will revert back to the manipulator being at its original position.

Press the Manipulator Mode key again (or through the menu) to get back to edit mode. Now your objects are ready for positioning to their new location. *Remember, if you deselect your objects you'll have to start over.

And.....relocated.

Remember, all the work you did to relocate the manipulator is lost once you deselect your objects. You could, of course, change all the origins for all these objects to a single point in your model but that doesn't usually need to be done until you have completed the project and need to set the origin to 0,0 (as necessary for game engines).

Last edited by makit3d : 03 March 2016 at 06:32 PM.

11 November 2015
thanks 4 adding some tips.. wish there were more

11 November 2015
I'm hoping others will post some useful tips as well. There are some things in Silo I find difficult to do. Having easier ways of doing them would be nice.

BTW, with the second 'TIP' I posted can be used in various ways.

You can select more than one object, go into any mode ( I find vertex mode often the easiest) and use the same technique pointed out in the post to move selected portions of multiple objects to a specific point.

However, there is one big difference. Let's say you have chosen more than one object and, for example, you want to move a selected set of vertice points from those objects to another position.
After choosing your Objects you then choose the mode you need, for example, vertex mode.
Selected the set you need from the objects.
Then go into Manipulator Edit Mode.
Next select the face, vertex, edge that you need as your origin point and then get out of Manipulator Edit Mode.
Your origin will stay where it is until you choose a different object or escape out of the command.

Handy when your objects are where you want them but you need to move just a small set of edges, faces, vertex's to another location.

11 November 2015
thanks alot for your tips.. and keep em coming i will try ti add tips as i think of them too.

11 November 2015
Here's a simple one. Add an easy to remember and use shortcut for turning on and off the manipulator. This makes it useful to work with small areas when using functions such as merging vertices that are close together.

Another I found out by accident was to use the mouse wheel to increase or decrease values in a dialog box. I was always typing in the number or trying to using the left-right movement of the mouse to increase or decrease values (very non-precise!). Stuff like that is probably in the documentation somewhere but hey, reading is for losers! (joking)

11 November 2015
I'm currently a Silo user and I love the program. I am new to 3D modelling in general so I wasn't around for the lack of support - so far I've been completely satisfied by it.
I tried so hard to get into Blender and ended up massively frustrated. Then I found Silo and it was like a god-send. So easy to get into and use and learn the basics of 3D modelling with.
I also can do different 3d hdr pic with editor http://macphun.com for mac os

12 December 2015
I love Silo, too, MaxGl. It's nevercenter that I am angry with. If you ever need help with the program feel free to ask. I don't consider myself an expert with it but there are some others here who definitely are. Look them up and ask questions. I am certain they will be glad to help. Of course, if I can I will do what I can to assist.

If there is any tip that would be most useful it would be to customize the interface as much to your liking as possible. Silo makes it incredibly easy to set up your keyboard commands. Simply go to a menu, drop it down and go to the command you want to customize by hovering your mouse over it without actually pressing it. Then hit the mouse key you want to associate with that command. Voilą!, instant command customization.

This is how I did most of my keyboard commands. It takes some time to set up simply because you have to use Silo to understand what commands you use the most in order to create an efficient keyboard scheme that works for you.

Also, take all the time necessary to customize the Buttons! Just as important as the keyboard commands. Most of my keyboard commands are associated with my left hand since my right is on the mouse or pen. You can't fit all the commands on one hand so I set the rest of my most used functions into the viewport menus Buttons. Doing this saved me a Massive amount of modeling time. So much so I feel like I'm in slow motion when I use 3ds Max or any other software.

Welcome to the modeling fold, MaxGl. You are now an addict with no cure.

reply share thread