CGTalk > Technical > Technical and Hardware
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
darian929
New Member
portfolio
Darian Jimenez
Miami, USA
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3
Tablet decision

Hello guys! It's been a very long time since I've posted on these forums. I am now deciding on which tablet to get and I am looking at the Cintiq's. I have someone local on craigslist offering the cintiq 20wsx for $700. However I am unsure what to get right now. I did have the 12wsx and found it to small, I am more of the big nice screen type of guy and also not a fan of the intuous. I admit I am no professional and more of a hobbyists but I've always loved to draw and it's a hobby I intend to get back into as it distracts me from my actual job (Network Engineer).

So should I grab that Cintiq at $700? Or should I check something else out? The tablet is already like 7 years old so I am afraid....

Thanks for the help in advance!
 
Old 11-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
Tuxon86
PRO
portfolio
Alain Ménard
Beauharnois, Canada
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by darian929
Hello guys! It's been a very long time since I've posted on these forums. I am now deciding on which tablet to get and I am looking at the Cintiq's. I have someone local on craigslist offering the cintiq 20wsx for $700. However I am unsure what to get right now. I did have the 12wsx and found it to small, I am more of the big nice screen type of guy and also not a fan of the intuous. I admit I am no professional and more of a hobbyists but I've always loved to draw and it's a hobby I intend to get back into as it distracts me from my actual job (Network Engineer).

So should I grab that Cintiq at $700? Or should I check something else out? The tablet is already like 7 years old so I am afraid....

Thanks for the help in advance!


I personnaly wouldn't buy it. A Cintiq is something I would wait to buy new.
 
Old 11-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
darian929
New Member
portfolio
Darian Jimenez
Miami, USA
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3
Tuxon,

Thanks for the advice but I already bought it. I was able to get the price down to $580. I went and tried it at their home and everything worked fine. Took it back home and played with it for about 3 hours and so far I gatta say that I am happy with it. Cosmetically it is in great condition and the screen is flawless. I am no expert at all and just want to use this to learn how to get into the digital world. Sure getting a new cintiq would be great and I would be assured that there are no problems but then again not easy putting down 2k when I am not getting any return as far as value since I don't do this professionally.
 
Old 11-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
Tuxon86
PRO
portfolio
Alain Ménard
Beauharnois, Canada
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by darian929
Tuxon,

Thanks for the advice but I already bought it. I was able to get the price down to $580. I went and tried it at their home and everything worked fine. Took it back home and played with it for about 3 hours and so far I gatta say that I am happy with it. Cosmetically it is in great condition and the screen is flawless. I am no expert at all and just want to use this to learn how to get into the digital world. Sure getting a new cintiq would be great and I would be assured that there are no problems but then again not easy putting down 2k when I am not getting any return as far as value since I don't do this professionally.


It just that, in my opinion, shelling $580 on a 7 years old lcd monitor and touchscreen is a bit steep. And if it is just to learn I would have gone with an Intuos 5 medium or large for less money and wait until I started making money from my art before buying a Cintiq. After all you may get too used to drawing directly on screen and if you ever find a job in a studio that doesn't have one, but use the standard tablet instead it will impact your work.
 
Old 11-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
darian929
New Member
portfolio
Darian Jimenez
Miami, USA
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3
Tuxon,

I think you are confused. I am not a professional artist, neither want to be. I have another day time job and art is just a hobby for me and always was as a kid. I have tried intuos's before as I've had intuos 3 & 4. However I don't like drawing on a pad and looking at a monitor. I like the more draw on screen feel. While the intuos line is great, I felt that for an extra $200 I could grab a cintiq and while I agree it is 7 years old, it should do just fine for what I want to do.

Again it is just my opinion, and why I went with the cintiq instead of an intuos 5 or a brand new 2k Cintiq.
 
Old 11-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
Tuxon86
PRO
portfolio
Alain Ménard
Beauharnois, Canada
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by darian929
Tuxon,

I think you are confused. I am not a professional artist, neither want to be. I have another day time job and art is just a hobby for me and always was as a kid. I have tried intuos's before as I've had intuos 3 & 4. However I don't like drawing on a pad and looking at a monitor. I like the more draw on screen feel. While the intuos line is great, I felt that for an extra $200 I could grab a cintiq and while I agree it is 7 years old, it should do just fine for what I want to do.

Again it is just my opinion, and why I went with the cintiq instead of an intuos 5 or a brand new 2k Cintiq.


Ah ok. In the end, if you`re satisfied with your purchase, then that's all that matter!
 
Old 11-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
evanfotis
Esse quam videri
 
evanfotis's Avatar
portfolio
Evan Fotis, Georgoulakis
Athens, Greece
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,222
Wacom eu had a 21UX DTK-2100 ( Intuos 4 tech)Demo unit for 800 euros currently unavailable...
I'd buy this thing any time instead of the 22/24HD which cost two to four times more, or even the 13HD which costs the same.
Otherwise I'd wait for a UHD cintiq in 27"-30" form.

FWIW Intuos 4 tech is not bad at all. It has 2048 pressures sensitivity levels.
The 21UX has a real rotating display.
The IPS screen is most likely a NEC 2190uxi with Anti glare polarizer, not found in recent monitors.
__________________
 
Old 11-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,066,478
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
__________________
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
 
Thread Closed share thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.