zeden
PRO
CDN
3D/Game Design
self
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by imashination
Keep in mind you can have as many projects open at the same time as you like. A simple workflow is to model up each item and component you need in a new scene, then just copy and paste it into your master project. This way you get a nice clean object manager and can work in the centre of the project.

This. It is the killer feature of C4D to have several scene open at the same time and copy and paste as you like.
Most times Null objects are fine for grouping specific objects.

Not to forget the selection object which when double clicked on the icon in the OM selects all objects in its list. Really great.

Nitroman's solo plugin is a must I think. Once you have integrated it into your workflow you wonder how you could work without it before.

cheers

Old 03-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #17
brasco
Polygone

portfolio
Jon Bosley
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustEdge
Within C4D all characters are allowed for naming since the name is a separate attribute of the object.
At least exporting the scene as .FBX, then importing it into Maya converts the dots into another character since it's an invalid character there.

Good to know, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePriest
This is exactly what I mean. Sure all these names are good for your workflow, but passing this scene along to another artist might require an explanation. One with which the artist has to become accustomed to in order to keep things consistent. No offense, but to me this just seems like a waste of my creativity time.

No offense taken, I'm only strict about naming and being tidy when working with a team, sometimes it's not necessary at all. As you mentioned, I also tend to go too fast to bother hardcore organising on the first pass, I do tend to tidy up when it comes to render or sim time so I can manage all the custom passes I have to create... *shakes fist at vray*

It's second nature to me now, so it doesn't take much time to rename and add to layers, especially with the filters etc. The main reason for the colour coding, is so I can use layer colour in the viewport and find my way around the scene without having to touch the OM.

Really interesting hearing everyone's different workflows. I suspect most of us are touting some sort of organised chaos

cheers
brasc

Old 03-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #18
cmyk
Wielder of Untold Evil.

portfolio
Kevin Capizzi
Self-Employed (former Creative Director)
Kevin Capizzi CGI, LLC
USA

Send a message via AIM to cmyk
Quote:
Originally Posted by imashination
Keep in mind you can have as many projects open at the same time as you like. A simple workflow is to model up each item and component you need in a new scene, then just copy and paste it into your master project. This way you get a nice clean object manager and can work in the centre of the project.

No doubt. I do this so much, I take it for granted I guess.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #19
jespizua
Veteran
Jose Espizua
bilbao, Espaρa

C4D's object manager is the thing I like the less within C4D. IMO, the idea of parenting objects is nice for very simple projects, but with big projects the OM gets cluttered very fast.

I find 3DSMAX's approach (or blender) way more effective and faster. In 3ds, you select an object and apply modifiers on top of that object, so if I need to work on one object, I just isolate it and work on that object. That way you can see very clearly all the modifiers applied to that object.

Another complaint for C4D is that there isn't an inbuilt isolate object function in C4D. Why is that?, this is a very important feature for modellers. I know and use MagicSolo, wich I love, but isn't much practical for modeling. Let me explain my issue:

I don't know why, but if you isolate a child object which is in a different layer than its parent, using the layer's solo function, that isolated object is not longer "visible" or "valid" for snap system, I mean, you can't snap to that object. Because what MagicSolo does is generate a temporal layer with selected objects and solo that layer, if any of the selected objects is a child and its parent is not selected, you will not be able to snap to that object. So, if for example you have an spline used as a path for a mograph cloner, and you need to select that spline and isolate it to snap another object to that spline, MagicSolo will not work.

I hope I make that clear, but it is really a big issue to me.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #20
rustEdge
that guy

portfolio
Gene Carlo Magtoto
Digital Designer, Cinema4D TD & Animator
freelance
Vancouver, Canada

Send a message via Yahoo to rustEdge
Quote:
Originally Posted by jespizua
Another complaint for C4D is that there isn't an inbuilt isolate object function in C4D. Why is that?, this is a very important feature for modellers. I know and use MagicSolo, wich I love, but isn't much practical for modeling. Let me explain my issue:

I don't know why, but if you isolate a child object which is in a different layer than its parent, using the layer's solo function, that isolated object is not longer "visible" or "valid" for snap system, I mean, you can't snap to that object. Because what MagicSolo does is generate a temporal layer with selected objects and solo that layer, if any of the selected objects is a child and its parent is not selected, you will not be able to snap to that object. So, if for example you have an spline used as a path for a mograph cloner, and you need to select that spline and isolate it to snap another object to that spline, MagicSolo will not work.

I hope I make that clear, but it is really a big issue to me.

There's another plugin simply named Solo . It alters the visibility states of the objects instead of using layers. I prefer it over MagicSolo because I use Layers constantly.

Of course this means to have the OM show only the active hierarchy, I have to use the Set as Root/Goto Main Level commands.(I don't use this often because of my particular workflow though.)

Old 03-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #21
demafleez
Frequenter

fleezinator
USA

I think a healthy combination of what's been mentioned thus far can go along way to making large object managers less cumbersome.

I'll also add selection objects to the mix for being able to quickly restore the selection of several objects that may otherwise be nested in several heirarchies and in more than one layer. Combine that with a solo plugin to really isolate both in the viewport and in the OM.

Also, don't be afraid to use more than one object manager. You can filter the 2nd OM to display by object type, tags, layers or any given search term. Its also a way to manage larger nested hierarchies by moving selected items either top level or out of and into other nested nests.

here's a small video i did to demonstate:
http://vimeo.com/59522229

cheers

demafleez.com | twitter

Old 03-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #22
jespizua
Veteran
Jose Espizua
bilbao, Espaρa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustEdge
There's another plugin simply named Solo . It alters the visibility states of the objects instead of using layers. I prefer it over MagicSolo because I use Layers constantly.

Of course this means to have the OM show only the active hierarchy, I have to use the Set as Root/Goto Main Level commands.(I don't use this often because of my particular workflow though.)

Thanks Gene. Yeah, solo seems to be more suited for my workflow.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #23
jespizua
Veteran
Jose Espizua
bilbao, Espaρa

Quote:
Originally Posted by demafleez

Also, don't be afraid to use more than one object manager. You can filter the 2nd OM to display by object type, tags, layers or any given search term. Its also a way to manage larger nested hierarchies by moving selected items either top level or out of and into other nested nests.

here's a small video i did to demonstate:
http://vimeo.com/59522229

cheers

Nice video, thanks. Instead of using 2 OM to move selected items to top levels, I select the objects and hit Cmd+X, Cmd+V. The selected objects will be pasted on top of OM (remember to go to preferences-interface-paste new objects as top)

Old 03-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #24
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread