CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 03-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Difference between vfx and character animation help for beginner

Im having a tough time deciding which area i want to go into. I know character animation is things like Pixar. Which I would like to do ... but I am always drawn to things such as The tiger in Life of Pi and the Creatures from the hobbit and things such as the lizard from the Amazing spiderman.

1. In the latter examples is that still Computer animation
2. Is there a way I can study and know both so I can work at lets say ILM in my life but get laid off and work somewhere like Pixar
3. If you can can you please thoroughly explain the differences,

Im sorry if I am completely wrong or even in the wrong category as well. Im really new to all of this .
Old 03-04-2013, 01:44 AM   #2
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
JadeS welcome to cgtalk.
Wow that was quick, you didn't even start at ILM yet and you already got laid off?
The terminal velocity of individual particles is directly related to pink rabbits on a bank holiday.
Characters, Games, Toys
Old 03-04-2013, 03:15 AM   #3
Be Water My Friend
Jon Anderson
Creative that gets stuff done
Stevensville, USA
Originally Posted by Kanga
JadeS welcome to cgtalk.
Wow that was quick, you didn't even start at ILM yet and you already got laid off?

LOL. Not yet, but the odds are in favor.

I wouldn't sweat the difference just yet. Getting into any topend studio will be a long shot at best. Just start exploring and see which direction you gravitate. I like it all, so I work as a generalist at a much lower level. However, I get variety and make up for missing the big leagues in pay, benefits and a small sense of security.

If you can find your true passion, not what you think you want to do, and absolutely excel at it, you might have a shot.

Good luck
Old 03-04-2013, 03:30 AM   #4
lifelong scholar of art
Andrew Prewett
walnut creek, USA
Dig and explore plenty, no need to lock onto a path now because plans change. Many of my peers have jumped around plenty and still do, some started out chasing something like animation and maybe found modeling or rigging to be the right place for them. I started out in motion graphics and 2d editing and ended up seeking 3d animation as a primary skill set.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:41 AM   #5
Panupat Chong
2. People get laid off all the time, it's the trend these days. And yes you can get hire by new studio if your skill is good.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:24 AM   #6
Part-Time Blenderite
Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines
Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Here's the good news:

Character Animation = Tiger in Life of Pi = The Hobbit Goblins = Woody and Buzz Lightyear = Leon S. Kennedy = Tintin = T-1000 = Na'Vi = Optimus Prime and Megatron = (every computer generated character in live action or animation) = Visual Effects.

It's ALL Visual Effects.

It has been actually since the time of Steamboat Willy (but the term wasn't invented yet).
"Your most creative work is pre-production, once the film is in production, demands on time force you to produce rather than create."
Old 03-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #7
designer of stuff...
Chris F
graphic/interactive designer/aspiring animator
Houston, USA
Send a message via AIM to fig
Your first year or two of animating is going to be learning, understanding, and applying body mechanics no matter what particular field you end up specializing in, and as mentioned the differences between the different genres at the highest level are subtle.

Looking at Pixar, for example, the animators that did subtle acting shots in The Incredibles also did the superheroic fight scenes. At ILM the animators that did the VFX work on The Avengers also animated quirky characters on Rango. Animators within those studios may prefer or be stronger at a particular type of shot, but they're capable of any of them.

Point being, once you're good enough to work at that level of studio you'll most likely have the skillset to do either, or will at least be quite aware of what to work on.
figdigital | @figdigital
Old 03-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread