Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by teruchan
I think PCs will go back to where they came from, the business and professional market, and it will be minuscule and catered to by a few companies willing to create for this market. The rest of the world will likely go the way of Japan and Korea, where new wiz-bang high tech gadgets will be in everyone's hand and normal people won't be thinking about a desktop computer anymore.

I haven't had a desktop since Summer 2008. I have been on a laptop every since, and now I am all about the tablet. I can't do everything on it, but I already use it far more than my laptop. Having a SIM card in it is a huge plus over laptops.

In huge emerging markets like China, PCs have never made noteworthy market penetration, but even farmers walking on the side of the road have kick-ass touch screen mobile devices. I read somewhere that, in the third world, there are millions who have smart phones but don't even have electricity in their home!

The cell phone thing though is due to the lack of telephone lines, it's much easier for them to put up cell towers than run phone lines everywhere.

But yeah, computers like what we use are losing popularity. The vast majority of the world only needs a web browser and the Office suite and that's it.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #137
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
Just would like to add that it's not necessarily PC users being reduced but also that the Tablets are part of a blue ocean movement where there are NEW users of technology who found the PC too intimidating.

My mother for example never got into PC's or consoles at all, but she's now hooked all day on her 7 inch tablet - and she's damn good at Angry Birds.

^^
This is very true. My 80 year old grandfather couldn't use a PC. Too complicated/technical for him to learn.

But he now uses a 10" Android Tablet every day. He learned how to check his emails and browse the internet on it.

So yes, tablet computers, and their ease of use in particular, really are bringing new people into computing.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #138
THX1311
Banned

portfolio
William Noble
Design Concepts inc.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Quote:
"I haven't had a desktop since Summer 2008. I have been on a laptop every since, and now I am all about the tablet. I can't do everything on it, but I already use it far more than my laptop. Having a SIM card in it is a huge plus over laptops."

Ever Since getting my tablet My laptop is now my "home system"
I have Not owned a desktop since I dumpstered My old powermac G3 in 2006.

I will likely never own another Desktop workstation
only more powerful laptops for home/office &tablets for mobile computing
Very exciting time for us "techies"

Cheers

Old 11-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #139
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by teruchan
I find it funny that people say consoles are just as bad as the PC with bugs and patches, and then mention the XBox, which is Microsoft and basically is an old outdated PC. Now I have never owned a PS3, though I know people who do and have played theirs. I have however owned every console made from the Atari 2600 to the PS2, and worked in games for years. The Japanese consoles are hell to get your title approved on. In my time, there was no such thing as bugs or patches. If there was the slightest problem, your game got sent back and you had to fix it before they allow it on their console. My limited experience with the PS3 makes me seriously doubt things have changed on that front.

That's very true. You never heard of bugs in console games back in the day. The first time I ever encountered one was MK2 for the SNES. Nintendo and Sega had those very strict testing groups that let nothing through without finding everything first. And then it slowly became common practice that games got released with bugs until now they all are. I had to laugh, I started playing Zelda: Skyward Sword in the last month and saw that there is a save game bug fix for it available on the e-shop channel. "E tu Nintendo?"
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 11-08-2012, 01:51 AM   #140
JoshBowman
Life's More Than What U C

portfolio
Joshua Bowman
Animation Lecturer/Student
Sydney, Australia

Yup, the rise of internet connectivity on consoles was the reason we started seeing more bugs in games, rather than test it carefully, the process came from rushing the product out the door as soon as they could, see which bugs got the most complaints and only fixed those depending on how many people bought the game. "It just isn't cost effective anymore to hold a game in testing until all the bugs are squashed"

Old 11-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #141
teruchan
Skeleton Man

portfolio
Terrence Walker
The Last King
of Scotland
Shanghai, China

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattHarris
I had to laugh, I started playing Zelda: Skyward Sword in the last month and saw that there is a save game bug fix for it available on the e-shop channel. "E tu Nintendo?"

WOW! Considering it was almost impossible to get anything on Nintendo back in the day, I thought they would be the last to ever allow something like that. An unexpected knife for sure!
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 11-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #142
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Bugs existed in every game every time. They just were less obvious. Gamers were getting crazy finding them and it was fun. For some, I even burnt two sega genesis. I was making short ciruits to cartridges, and I even found some secret levels (for sonic 3d-blast for example).

Old 11-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #143
Michael5188
another mime

portfolio
Michael Sime
animator/rigger
NYC, USA

Also games were so much simpler that bugs weren't as much of a problem.

When you start dealing with open world games with countless ai's working against each other and huge areas with multiple features suddenly there are countless possibilities for bugs to form.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 11-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #144
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael5188
Also games were so much simpler that bugs weren't as much of a problem.

Very true. I bought Skyrim months after it was released.

In one of the first important story-scenes with the wise Dragon living on the mountaintop - forgot his name - the dragon would fly around endlessly in the air, and not land and talk to me as he was supposed to.

After I went back to an earlier save game, the Dragon landed, talked, and the story/quest could progress as intended...

So yes, the newer, bigger open-world games do have interesting bugs even months after the game was released.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #145
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

That is a funny one and it can happen anywhere especially during a dragon attack in the mountains. I'm pretty sure it's because the dragon can't find any flat land to crash on so it just flies around and around even though it has no health. Once, the dragon flew around for about a minute then started pinwheeling on some unseen axis. After a few moments of this the polygons blew apart and flew off into space. Wish I was recording.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 11-10-2012, 03:58 AM   #146
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Oh wait!

I have encountered bugs in console games!

In F1 World Grand Prix 2, I was doing my one and only pit stop at the Spanish Grand Prix, I dive into the pitlane and inexplicably get a "Stop and Go Penalty" even when there are no cars around.

But that's not the end of it. I do not get to serve the pit stop, the penalty, or finish the race because upon crossing the pitlane speed limiter, my Ferrari suddenly got sucked underground, spun around on all three axes, and then it got spit out back onto the track and exploded into pieces.

I wish I recorded THAT.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:58 AM   #147
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread