Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
rownd
In a blanket fort

portfolio
Jim Rownd
illustrator
Rochester, USA

6. No more "What should I do with my life?" threads.

I was looking at the rules found this one. I get high school students visiting me every once and a while. They want to make a living doing art. I'm an editorial illustrator. I have nothing to do with gaming or the entertainment industry ( I feel doing storyboards for ads doesn't count as entertainment).
I try and steer them away from what I do because it's mostly a dead industry and way over saturated. You say to just do an internet search but that really doesn't tell whats the best school?
Back when I started there were a lot of school but only 2 that were the best, Rode island and CA. That was the 70's and 80's. Now I have no clue. Is it still the same schools or are there better ones for what this site is mostly about?

I tend to play them this video:
http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/u_iQVCij2Z4
side note,I do like seeing Hussar in it and whats with the guy in the scarf…I'm mean really?

Last edited by rownd : 02-15-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Is there a question here? Are you asking what is the "best school" to recommend to prospective artists? If so, there's no singular answer to that, and your singling-out of RISD and CA is nothing more than a personal opinion.

But I would agree that visual arts industries (illustration, vfx, photography, graphic design) have, as a whole, become seriously devalued over the last 20 years. They aren't exactly "dead" but the barriers to entry have dropped so low as to allow just about anyone to do these jobs that once required specialized training.

Also, there is a schools sub-forum here for such discussions.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
rownd
In a blanket fort

portfolio
Jim Rownd
illustrator
Rochester, USA

Yes it would be the sentences with the question mark and personal opinion is not the case. The people I have met that went to those two school were way better equipped then most.

short version: What's the best CG school?

and dude it's dead. I know I live in it. Look threw the newest SI annual. It's small ( if you can find one). They used to be huge.

Thanks should of scrolled down. I'll post there.

Last edited by rownd : 02-15-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
rownd
In a blanket fort

portfolio
Jim Rownd
illustrator
Rochester, USA

Some needs to delete this post. I didn't see how I can.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
USA

Your condescension and terrible spelling & grammar aside, it's a good thing you are an artist and not a scientist. Over-generalizations like "The best illustrators come from XYZ University" are pointless, and at worst, even harmful. This goes doubly for "What are the 'best' CG schools."

Old 02-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
rownd
In a blanket fort

portfolio
Jim Rownd
illustrator
Rochester, USA

I'm dyslexic and would not make a good writer. A lot of creative people are. I used to say you show me an artist and I'll show you someone dyslexic. Also the school is not pointless. I've seen the difference. I guess that is something you would have to have experienced to understand.

condescension? Wasn't trying to.

Last edited by rownd : 02-15-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:16 PM   #7
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rownd
I guess that is something you would have to have experienced to understand.

While I normally wouldn't be provoked by this kind of condescension, my 4 years at Art Center College of Design has left me relatively well-informed regarding the fields of design and illustration.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
rownd
In a blanket fort

portfolio
Jim Rownd
illustrator
Rochester, USA

If the school was that important then why did you go there?

Old 02-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #9
rownd
In a blanket fort

portfolio
Jim Rownd
illustrator
Rochester, USA

To this day it still amazes the amount of hits a post takes when people think there is a conflict going on. I'm really not trying to do that. I just know some teachers are better then others. I've moved the post and just wishing this one would get deleted Richard Green
"The Anarchist"

Last edited by rownd : 02-15-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #10
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
USA

There's no conflict here, other than the manufactured one you are trying to create. A school being "important" (?) or the "best" are not the same thing. But you said "best school" in your op, not "has better teachers" which you added in a later post.

Of course different schools offer different advantages, which is exactly my point: There's no singular "best" school for anything. They all have different programs, different levels of faculty, even different educational agendas. Now mix that with a potential student's preference or skill for one area of study or another, and the idea of the "best" school goes out the window.

Thread Closed share thread