A homage study of a great Rembrandt painting

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

01 January 2017
A homage study of a great Rembrandt painting

For now I'll leave a short brief of the study I intend to do. I've been doing small and big paintings (63 x 39 in) for many years. My weakness has always been to paint from imagination, not because I can't but because it is always different from what I picture. My strengh though, is to paint using photo reference.

If you like, check out my recent paintings on my CGSociety portfolio.

My intentions here on this thread is to present my WIP as I go that "one inch beyond", painting on a 63 x 79 inches canvas, studying from the master Rembrandt Harmensz. van Rijn: Militia Company of District II under the Command of Captain Frans Banninck Cocq, Known as the ‘Night Watch’ (1642). I hope I used a proper title for this thread and so far in my message. I'm open to all critique and art direction as long as it inspires and helps me improve me in this auto-assignment.

I usually doodle with charcoal, messy to correct, but dark and thick enough to make me really understand the composition. Then paint sketch with acrylics, and finally paint with oils. I understand that acrylics is "fat free" and oils isn't, so it follows the "fat over lean" basic rule.

As this is the very beginning, I believe my focus is mostly to compose the closest I can to the original masterpiece by Rembrandt. Maybe for now there isn't too much material for feedback, but bear with me. So, for now, the weakness or strength I want to tackle is position of figures, proportions, and I'll be doing most of it with charcoal directly on the canvas and pencils on my sketchbooks.

Thank you very much for reading this message.

(Obs.: sorry for the lowres and blured focus of my phone.)

First I draw a portrait of one of the figures from the composition.

Last edited by minizine : 01 January 2017 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Trying to learn how to add images

reply share thread