Why are you only good when using industry approved software

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by simple3d: So, like Leigh, you have a bias toward Blender too.
?

If I see one more shit-stirring comment like this from you here, you won't be posting again.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by simple3d: Yeah, I think it is clear that you would be crazy to use Blender in a professional studio. My main question is the RENDERER.

In other word, the still images that people post here. Why do many people think the renderer is inferior.

I think what I learned so far is that rendering quality is based on the tool, and more importantly the artist.

I think many people consider some renderers better than other, but I can't tell if it is just "what I think", or is there specific reasons why Blender isn't up to snuff.

The point is the rendering engine is probably THE VERY LAST thing you give half a damn in a DCC application.

Nearly nobody in film or HQ cinematics uses MRay that comes bundled with Maya, we all use PRMan, 3Delight, Arnold, Vray, or Propietary solutions. We all pay for those.

In games the engine doesn't matter that much as all you tend to use it for is baking some maps.

In archviz you need a very specific set of functionalities, and therefore vRay, and recently to some extent MRay's iRay, take the cake there.

In short: It's not that it's inferior, or superior, or it's keeping people away from Blender. It's that we don't care when we choose what app we use to model, rig, animate, do camera work, surface, unwrap, or light in.

People (and with people I mean people professionally employed in studios producing entertainment contents, which is what you're asking about) don't choose to use or not use Blender for its rendering engine. People choose to use it or not use it for everything else, and then have to cope (or not) with its engine (given there are no mainstream, production tested bulletproof alternatives other than some half baked RIB exporters and such).

Again, I suggest you stop going around in circles so much, and just start creating stuff instead.
You are constantly inferring reasons for your questions that are not invalid on their own, but are generally non-applicable and therefore moot in the context you're trying to find out about.

Thread Closed share thread