How can I create looping systems in PFlow?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2013
How can I create looping systems in PFlow?

Hey there,

Now I know what I'll be asking can probably easily be done in a script operator(or maybe mot?) but I'm really not a programmer, that said, If there really isn't any other way to do it, then by all means please tell me how it's done that way.

I want to create a loop in which while my particles are closer than X distance to an object it goes to my next event and perform a certain operation and as soon as it gets further away than that X distance it goes back to my main event, how can I do that?

PS: Forgot to say that I'm also open to any ADM suggestions if there are any, I'm very new to it but so far I'm really enjoying it.

07 July 2013
You cannot wire back into the first event (ie Event001) because this is the global connection. So use a Send Out or some custom logic test out to a new Event002. Event002 Test out some logic to a new Event003, then in Event003 add another Test that performs some logic and is wired back to Event002. You can add as many Tests as you want.

07 July 2013
Oh thank goodness, I did try looping back to the main event and being unsuccessful I thought we can't do rewirings, it's really nice that we can, thanks a lot Johnny.

Just out of curiosity, is there any method of looping also in ADM?

07 July 2013
Within an actual Data op, hmm never tried. At least not in the sense of an event loop within a data op. The data op is processed at every integration step, meaning that the tree is read once per step.

I might be missing something interesting here but I am not sure why you would do this, can you maybe explain what you are thinking?

07 July 2013
As I said it was just my curiosity, can't come up with a scenario off the top of my head(also I'm kinda new to the whole concept), But how is that different from a Script Op?.. I'm pretty sure there can be loops inside a script op, cant it?..

08 August 2013
Well... there are different levels of looping in pflow.

1. Is a a system loop, what I describe earlier, ie global, it starts with the global event and proceeds through subsequent events until it reaches the final event(s), then it starts over again per Integration Step. So if the Integration Step is set to half frame, there will be two loops through the whole system per frame.

2. Next is a local loop, this is at the operator level, which is what you see inside of a script op. For a speed operator it would go something like this: particle 1 set this speed, particle 2 set this speed, particle 3 set this speed, ect. until it loops through every particle that comes in contact with that particular speed operator. It does a full loop of all the particles once then moves on to the next operator.

3. Lastly would be nesting a for loop within a for loop of a script op. I think this would be the only place that you would be able to do this too (other than the global source scripts)

08 August 2013
Interesting, thanks a lot for the explanation, things make more sense now, I guess one of the things that could really use multi-threading would be the local loops, or probably all of them, it's a shame that this great system should suffer from such a limitation, hopefully they are working on that.

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread