R14 Camera Issue

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Thanks for checking it out on your system Cairyn,

All I know is somethings changed... I used to be able to move my cameras in the "top" view and activating them in the object manager would only change the camera in the "perspective" view - now I lose the top view and it becomes the active camera.

Now I have to click once back in the "perspective" view to activate it before I change the active camera. I'm sure that the ortho views were locked previously?

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited by SteveB : 06 June 2013 at 01:21 PM.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by SteveB: Thanks for checking it out on your system Cairyn,

All I know is somethings changed... I used to be able to move my cameras in the "top" view and activating them in the object manager would only change the camera in the "perspective" view - now I lose the top view and it becomes the active camera.

Now I have to click once back in the "perspective" view to activate it before I change the active camera. I'm sure that the ortho views were locked previously?

Thanks,

Steve

yes its new to r14.
r12 and r13 dont do it

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by dataflow: yes its new to r14.
r12 and r13 dont do it

So, you get this behavior too? Maybe I misunderstand what the problem even is, I cannot reproduce any oddities with the cameras at all. Looks all the same as before, except the new "camera change move".

Mac-only bug?

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Cairyn: So, you get this behavior too? Maybe I misunderstand what the problem even is, I cannot reproduce any oddities with the cameras at all. Looks all the same as before, except the new "camera change move".

Mac-only bug?

Misunderstanding I think...
It changes the "active" viewport.

I think you have this confused with the active camera.

So if you are switching cameras with the perspective view active then you won't notice a difference.
But if you say, click in the top view, and then switch the camera, it will change the camera for the top view.
AFAIK this has to be a bug, as I don't remember it when R14 first came out.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Cairyn: So, you get this behavior too? Maybe I misunderstand what the problem even is, I cannot reproduce any oddities with the cameras at all. Looks all the same as before, except the new "camera change move".

Mac-only bug?

to reproduce do the following.
create a camera
change viewport so 4 different windows are visible
select the top view window
then click on the camera switch in the OM.

youll notice the top view changes to the cameras view.
which before it would only change the perspective view window no matter what window you had selected

Last edited by dataflow : 06 June 2013 at 07:33 AM.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by dataflow: to reproduce do the following.
create a camera
change viewport so 4 different windows are visible
select the top view window
then click on the camera switch in the OM.

youll notice the top view changes to the cameras view.
which before it would only change the perspective view window no matter what window you had selected

aaah, thank you both for the clarification. I sort of missed that you are working with the "quadruple" view - I myself work with 4 separate view windows, so I couldn't reproduce!

I believe Maxon changed the paradigm here (haven't got the old versions installed anymore, so I can't check what happens there). Now that you poked at the issue, I can see a related problem with my setup too:

When I am in one of the auxiliary view windows, the object manager does not show the "active camera" symbol of this view, but the active camera of the main window stays marked. Even if I click the "active" symbol, it doesn't become white (although the view's camera changes). The menu however updates correctly! (Big question: How does C4D knows what my main view is? I am afraid they just use the "first" view of the layout...)

I guess we have a systemic issue here. Each view (in single mode) has either its default camera (not in the object tree) or a link to a scene camera. In multi-view mode, the view suddenly has two, three or even four cameras. Each of them can be a default camera or a linked scene camera (the settings are stored when I switch back and forth between single mode and multi mode; did the view behave like that in R12/R13 too?).

Now the previous behavior seemed to handle the multi-view as some sort of special case. Sorry, can't check it out for lack of old installs. The current R14 implementation seems for all purposes and functions to handle the (max) four sub-views as separate views (except for the special case of linked default cameras with orthographic views).

That means that it makes no difference whether you work with multi views or separate view windows - I just checked with my setup and they behave the same, down to the missing update of the activation symbol in the object tree. It even works with the camera-cycle script per sub-view when a scene camera is selected. Menu and Camera attribute window follow suit.

I would say this is intentional (well, except for the activation symbol), to unify the handling of views. Makes sense to me - except that now a multi-view cannot be used for the kind of usecase that you are accustomed to.

Unfortunately I cannot even think of a script that would reverse this behavior since the C4D API has no window control functionality.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by Nanome: I will follow this thread closely since I've been having LOTS of camera issues myself. Different from the OP's but I'm wondering if they all have the same origin.

One of the things that drive me crazy is how switching cameras with the little white widget in the Object Manager while an orthographic view is active makes that view a Perspective view instead of just switching cameras the way it used to be ---in Perspective view only.

+1 Yes, this is also driving me bonkers in the latest R14. I haven't been using R14 very much, so didn't know if it was default behavior or a bug either

06 June 2013
+1
happens to me just every 5min the same. but seems only in newest update,i had that never before.
http://rhino.io

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread