aaOcean shader not working

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
aaOcean shader not working

Hi all,

I've been searching the net for a solution, but unfortunately ...
I've been asked to create an ocean with the following plugin:http://www.amaanakram.com/?page_id=131

this is the aaOcean suite that was created for Softimage and was then ported to Maya.

In the template scene there is no shader included, but there is a special mental ray shader called: aaOceanDataShader (which is a texture).

The problem is that I can't get the foam out of this DataShader. If I would assign this texture directly to the plane the a Lambert is created, fully black.

I've searched the net and stumbled upon this "solution":

Quote: Create vertex attributes (e.g. use color per vertex in maya) to store where foam is generated (e.g. on the peak of a wave or depending on the eigenvalue of the HOT evaluation). Set the vertex data to “1″ where foam is generated and additionally decrease all vertex data each framestep so that the foam is reduced each frame. As result you get an animated vertex map, where “1″ stands for full foam and 0″ for no foam. You will get nice “falloffs” for the foam.
The rest can be done in the shader. You can use the vertex data, which is the foam strength on the shading point, as attribute to scale/adjust a noise at this shading point. The difficult thing is to create a nice noise which looks like foam. In my sample I combined different perlin noises.

Does anyone have any idea how to connect the nodes?

Thanks in advance!

02 February 2013
interesting plugin...i've been using hotOcean and wouldn't mind trying this, but I can't get access to the plugin could you upload it somewhere for me to try?

02 February 2013
send me an email so I can send it to you or send an email to amaan himself.
He's very quick in response.

He could not help me with the shader either, he works primarily with other software i think.

Greetz,

J.

02 February 2013
yeah Amaan replied super quick, i haven't got 2013 at work, but I can try at home. Looks impressive.

02 February 2013
I agree the sample images look amazing. I wonder when the source code will be back online.

02 February 2013
I believe I saw it somewhere online in another forum.
Could be that I'm wrong.

Anyways, I've restarted from the beginning, with the standard ocean presets from Maya, tweaked them a little bit, and the results where amazing. I don't think I'm going to waste anymore time searching for the shader solution.

thanks in advance.

J.

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread