Questions before I buy

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2006
Questions before I buy

Before I buy Silo, I would like to find out what sort of users manual is included ( yes - i know it would be electronic. )
Is there one that is more visual than the one from the programs' Help menu ?

My next - and a more important question - would be if models that use the displacement brush feature in the 2.0 release will be able to be exported to XSI for animation the way they can be from ZBrush.

EDIT : I still haven't purchased Silo yet due to the fact that I already have both XSI and ZBrush and just need to learn them better.

BUT.... I'm still having a horrible time trying to figure out how to get the displacements to work correctly in XSI from ZBrush.

Is there any way one of you could post a model that has some displacements on it from Silo ?
I'd like to test it out and see if I can make it work better than the confusion I have had from ZBrush. ( My fault entirely ! )

The model can be just a plain old primitive with some doodles on it - nothing fancy needed.
I would greatly appreciate it !

Thanks !

Last edited by Vegan : 11 November 2006 at 05:32 PM.

10 October 2006
I dont think you are gona get too export displacement in silo in the beginning anyway. Im a Maya user I import the hires and the lores into maya from silo then i use the surface sampler in maya too make the displacement map instead. I also think there is programs that are cheap or free that make normal maps and displacement. Hope it will be implemented in silo but it isnt a must for now. Dont know about XSI but it should have something similar.

10 October 2006
Displacement export is certainly planned for version 2. It might be in the next beta. There will also be normal export.

10 October 2006
There has been some hefty work on the v2 doc.

The current 'help' file is very comprehensive. Silo is very easy to grasp.

Silo 2 will export displacement maps.

11 November 2006
For those that skip to the bottom of the page, I have edited my original post with an additional question .

Thanks !

11 November 2006
Did you flip the map upside down? Zbrush exports maps the wrong way.

11 November 2006
Yes I did ... and everything else I could think of.

Are you still using Hash all that much ?

11 November 2006
Originally Posted by Vegan: Yes I did ... and everything else I could think of.

Are you still using Hash all that much ?

Yeah. It is still great for getting certain things done fast and it is improving all the time.

11 November 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread