80's nostalgia hitting rock bottom: MANIMAL

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  09 September 2012
80's nostalgia hitting rock bottom: MANIMAL

http://collider.com/manimal-movie/196179/

Originally Posted by Collider:
Fans of the short-lived TV series Manimal will be happy to hear that a live-action/CG feature adaptation is in the works. The series, which only ran for eight episodes at the tail end of 1983, centered on Jonathan Chase (Simon MacCorkindale), a crime-fighter who could change into any animal at will. The campy premise that was shredded by critics was apparently worthwhile enough to be picked up by Sony Pictures Animation for a possible adaptation. Coming off of the success of The Smurfs live-action/CG hybrid and with plans for a similar adaptation of Alf, the studio is currently mining 80s properties for all their worth.

I suppose if they do this with the right tone, it could be fun, and the animal transformation stuff should be a piece of cake now. But, still, sheesh.

On the bright side, it's not like they're going to be ruining a classic or something..though I'm sure ALF will end up feeling that way.

What's next? Automan? Riptide? I'd love to see a new version of Misfits of Science, but that's doubtful.

share thread