How To Change the Opacity of An Animated Human Figure?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

2 Weeks Ago
How To Change the Opacity of An Animated Human Figure?

Hello,

I've created an animated human figure in Adobe Fuse/Mixamo. Then I opened it up in C4D and it animates and looks good.

But, what I want to do is reduce the opacity on the figure so that it is semi-transparent throughout the animation. I've attempted to apply the Display Tag to all of the elements of the figure and set the display at 70%. However, when I observe the animation in playback and after render it still displays at 100%. How can I adjust the opacity of the animated human figure so that it is semi-transparent?

Thanks!

2 Weeks Ago
I haven't used C4D in ages, but wouldn't you have to set the actual materials mapped onto the figure to be semi-transparent?

2 Weeks Ago
Well, the display tag works for me. Post your file if you want.

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by pacificm: Hello,

I've created an animated human figure in Adobe Fuse/Mixamo. Then I opened it up in C4D and it animates and looks good.

But, what I want to do is reduce the opacity on the figure so that it is semi-transparent throughout the animation. I've attempted to apply the Display Tag to all of the elements of the figure and set the display at 70%. However, when I observe the animation in playback and after render it still displays at 100%. How can I adjust the opacity of the animated human figure so that it is semi-transparent?

Thanks!
In almost all situations you would want to accomplish this effect via compositing, rather than in a single render. In other words, render the scene twice: once without the figure, and once with only the figure, with an alpha channel enabled. Then layer them in your compositing app, and adjust the opacity there (you may also need to render a shadow pass depending upon your situation).

This is preferable for a couple of reasons:

- The compositing approach allows you to adjust the opacity without re-rendering, and

- Renders with transparent materials or display settings often contain artifacts, or reveal internal geometry that is undesirable.

reply share thread