Old 07-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Nukie
Frequenter
portfolio
Martin Halbersma
Heerenveen, Netherlands

Animation rendering workflow

Hi there,

I have been looking around for breakdown videos, but couldn't find any. So I decided to drop the question here.

I am planning to create a 3D short outside working hours. Just for fun and polishing my skills. I am no novice at 3D. Modeling, texturing and animation won't be a problem, and I understand the time involved creating a short on your own. Al of this is known.

What I never fully understand however: what is a correct animation rendering workflow.

Take this example to explain my question better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7NEuThhqPM

Here you have a few different elements. You have the cars, the road, the ocean and off course the sky. And then some flying debris.

If someone should ask me to create a short like that, I would create one scene with everything in it, and then render out all those elements separately with a matte/shadow/reflection map on the other elements in the scene. Probably also render out a shadows map and a reflection map. Sky, I would most likely add in comp (but will have it in the 3D scene for reflections).

The all other elements like smoke or water effects, I would also render those out separately. Not sure if you would also need to render a beauty pass also.

In my opinion this is the best way to do it if you want to have the most control over all your different elements in post. The downside is you have a lot of different files to work with. So I am unsure if this is the most effective way to handle such projects.

Even if I will lack the time to create my own short, I sure would like to understand how this is done.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread