Old 06-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Anoop101
portfolio
Anoop
none
London, United Kingdom

Where to start for creating a Video Game Character

Hi there,

Firstly I would like to apologise if this thread has bene posted in the wrong section. I wasn't entirely sure where to put this.

I wanted to start by saying hi to everyone, and to those who have made this Website Forum, thanks ever soo much, really appreciate the support you folks give, and also good to see the community on here.

I'm pretty new as are others to drawing characters for a Video Game, and so I wanted to ask, how the hell does one start drawing a video game character ( reference images, image planes etc) when making a video-game for fun.

What's the concept art, silhouettes all about? Where does one start?
It's really confusing to know where to start, and I would appreciate kindly if anyone could help as I'm having a very difficult time.

I apologies once again if this question has already been asked, and whether this is in the wrong thread, please pardon me.

It would be great to get some helpful tips to introduction to all this.

Kind regards,

Anoop.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
Boone
Lord of the posts
portfolio
-
United Kingdom

For a start, use a wooden art puppet and draw it from the front and side.

If you can stand the puppet on a rotating surface of some kind and place a camera in front of it on a small tripod, then you can take photos of it from the desired angles and maybe use that as a template guide for many human characters. If you lack confidence then don't be shy of using rotoscoping.

Not quite the same as taking life-drawing classes and keeping a sketch book and drawing each day, but its a start.

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 06-13-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
The start begins with a search for info and you started here so good begining!

Character silhouette is used to check that the outline of a figure is descriptive and distinct at the most basic visual level.

There are loads of video tutorials available on the web and many on youtube that are free. Here is a good one: http://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOOL for a start. Apart from that you will find books and dvd tutorials everywhere. Seeing as designing, building and animating characters is the most fun thing you can do you are in for a great ride.

Have a blast!
Cheerio

Old 06-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
Gingerhammer
Freelance/Starving
portfolio
Lee Kenning
Macclesfield, United Kingdom

A lot of things will come together when you develop a good understanding of anatomy, and do this in pieces (study and draw one body part at a time). Frustration and doubt can really slow your progress or put you off completely. There's lots of teaching material available. You can choose the level of detail you want to master. Making basic people for a simple game project can be acheived relatively quickly. Once you've understood overall form and proportion, you can learn about silhouette. Drawing is a very direct way to get a grasp of creating characters. You can learn directly in modelling software but this adds complexity to the process which, again, can cause frustration. You need to know your own limitations. If you find its getting frustrating, work on less detail and more form - even if it means going back to drawing and shading primitives and refreshing on light, shadow and perspective. Find forums to suit which ever level you're working on, post your work and ask questions. A common cause of frustration is a feeling that you have great ideas in your head but you can't reproduce them on paper. This is a prime example of not having a good grasp of the basics.
Be clear about your goals, find the level you need to practice, find the relevant information, practice until you're happy with the quality and either go back a step or move up.
You could learn to create useable game characters in a matter of months or decide to spend several years mastering and even leading the field in cutting-edge character creation.
There's a lot of choice for you and if you work methodically and intelligently you can achieve your goals.
So, to recap, I'm saying that if you have a good grasp of the basics much of the things you ask about in your post will fall into place and make sense.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread