Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-22-2007, 03:06 PM   #1
Swordsman
Beastmaster
portfolio
Swordsman
Sacramento, USA

Poly modeling in Silo vs. Maya?

I've got to say I'm not very happy with the polygonal modeling tools in Maya. They've improved them with 7 and 8 but I'm just not feeling the intuitiveness that I crave. I was wondering how the Silo users felt about polygonal modeling in Silo. Is it worth the purchase and switch from Maya?

Last edited by Swordsman : 03-22-2007 at 03:06 PM. Reason: typo

Old 03-23-2007, 08:39 AM   #2
rasmusW
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Rasmus Warming
3d artist
Ghost
Copenhagen, Denmark

Send a message via MSN to rasmusW
hey swordsman!

i use maya at work, but at home i use silo. the modeling tools in silo works so much better, aswell do the selecting tools. -think it's atleast worth trying.
if you aren't much for switching to a whole new pack, i suggest you checking out nex, a cool modeling plugin for maya. maybe you already heard of it.
that's my 2 cents.

-r

Old 03-23-2007, 07:24 PM   #3
Goon

portfolio
Ezra Schwepker
Seattle, USA

Send a message via AIM to Goon
Yes. Its cheap, and the tools are good. A transition from maya is pretty easy, though you'll have to get used to the preselection highlighting, and such, but that's all for the best. The tools are quite intuitive and very simple. I do have some complaints, but my core tool set functions perfectly in the beta now, so I'm good to go. Plus uvmapping is a cake walk, and if you can't throw down for zbrush/mudbox, then the displacement sculpting will probably be attractive (though its dead useful for normal modeling as well)

Old 04-22-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
danielelliott
Veteran

portfolio
Daniel Elliott
3d Artist
The Mill
United Kingdom

I use it at work on my laptop. Cos we use linux at work. But my lappy is connected to the network and ive got a monitor cable so it's not that much of a problem. I cant use maya or xsi for modelling now (well I can but its alot slower and much less intuitive).

SILO FOR LINUX PLEASE! (there is a poll on the forums at nevercenter for linux please everyone sign it).

Old 04-27-2007, 06:49 PM   #5
mech7
Lord of the posts
Chris
Where, Namibia

Definitly worth it especially because of the new beta

Old 04-29-2007, 09:47 PM   #6
metabaron(Gr)
Veteran

Nick Metabaron
Thessaloniki, Greece

Silo is the best 3d modeling program in the market.Its total easy,fast ,ergonomic & fully customizable.You can model anything so easy and fast that Maya will seem to you like a turtle.Maya modeling system sucks a lot so try Silo!

Old 05-18-2007, 07:58 AM   #7
Richy

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmarell
I use it at work on my laptop. Cos we use linux at work. But my lappy is connected to the network and ive got a monitor cable so it's not that much of a problem. I cant use maya or xsi for modelling now (well I can but its alot slower and much less intuitive).

SILO FOR LINUX PLEASE! (there is a poll on the forums at nevercenter for linux please everyone sign it).

Silo 2 Beta 9B somehow works under wine. Maybe you give it a shot (from time to time)
http://www.silo3d.com/forum/showthr...81561#post81561

Richy
(And yes I know as well a native Linux port would be much better, but for now.. better than nothing, right? -- Still keep signing the petition)

Old 05-18-2007, 09:20 AM   #8
danielelliott
Veteran

portfolio
Daniel Elliott
3d Artist
The Mill
United Kingdom

Dont worry ive signed it. I've also seen the linux workaround and will defo look into it. apparently the subD displacement is buggy and shows some graphical glitches but if its just for modelling then no problem as long as its not too slow.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:04 PM   #9
d00dle
Veteran
portfolio
Anant
student/looking for job
Pleasanton CA, USA

I like Maya, but just can't stand how Maya displays Subdivision surface. It's the worst I've ever seen.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:04 PM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread