New Arnold but no GPU support.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 04 April 2017   #46
Quote:
Yes, this was true for Arnold 4, but in Arnold 5 it seems it is like this

I hope so, otherwise it's not the shader who's energy conservative, it's the user ! Else, if you do all the energy calculation yourself, any shader in C4D is energy conservative.

The shader has to do the math internally so that it's all relative values that sum up to 100% anyway. So if you have 1 in diffuse and 2 in specular, it all comes down behind the curtains to 33,33% and 66,66% = 100%

Old 04 April 2017   #47
Arnold 5 - Drop in CPU Usage?

I'm curious, anyone experiences drop in CPU usage in Arnold 5? Arnold 4 was keeping all of my cores (80) on 100% while rendering. Now, in Arnold 5 it is max on 94%. I'm not complaining, it seems it is even faster now, just noticing... Leaving the space for GPU to jump in? Sorry, couldn't resist it

Old 04 April 2017   #48
Something is very wrong with transparency in Arnold 5

Can somebody please confirm this? Got two renders, one in Arnold 5 (latest C4DtoA 2.0.0.1) and another in Arnold 4 (C4DtoA 1.8.0). Sphere in both cases should be transparent. I only managed to do this in Arnold 4, as usual.
What do you think? It's like residual roughness is present in Arnold 5 transparent material which cannot be turned off.
Scene is simple backdrop with HDR and the sphere.
I tried this on two different machines, Windows 10 and OSX.
Edit: Added additional two renders to further illustrate the issue. Note: sphere and shader ball are not touching each other.

Arnold 4 (C4DtoA 1.8.0), Opaque turned off, IOR=1

Arnold 5 (C4DtoA 2.0.0.1), Opaque turned off, IOR=1

Arnold 5 (C4DtoA 2.0.0.1), No Sphere

Arnold 5 (C4DtoA 2.0.0.1), Shader Ball & Sphere

Last edited by nesafarm : 04 April 2017 at 03:36 PM.

Old 04 April 2017   #49
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesafarm
Can somebody please confirm this? Got two renders, one in Arnold 5 (latest C4DtoA 2.0.0.1) and another in Arnold 4 (C4DtoA 1.8.0). Sphere in both cases should be transparent. I only managed to do this in Arnold 4, as usual.[/B]

A couple of possibilities:

- is this the same material from version 4 just opened in 5? If so, perhaps try recreating it with the new standard_surface shader, which works pretty differently than the previous surface shader.

- If you are using the standard_surface shader, it has a default specular roughness of 0.1, which would create this effect; try setting it to 0.

Using the native 5 shaders, I don't have an issue getting pure transparency...

Old 04 April 2017   #50
Thanks for replying. Actually I noticed the problem first in Arnold 5 which made me to recreate the scene in Arnold 4. Used only native shaders. You sure you don't have problem with transparency? Try putting an image on the back object (plane, cyce, whatever). I noticed it that way.

All roughness values are on 0. Triple checked that before recreating the scene in Arnold 4.

Old 04 April 2017   #51
No, I'm not having the same problem:

transp_test

Here's my file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9gaqyy6y4...y_test.c4d?dl=0

Old 04 April 2017   #52
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWoolridge
No, I'm not having the same problem:

transp_test

Here's my file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9gaqyy6y4...y_test.c4d?dl=0

Thanks! Working as it should, which is good news. Now I have to check what a heck went wrong with my scene.
It could be that I opened the old one, but all of the shaders are replaced. Strange. Doesn't matter. What matters is Arnold is working as it should. My bad.

Last edited by nesafarm : 04 April 2017 at 04:44 PM.

Old 04 April 2017   #53
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesafarm
Can somebody please confirm this? Got two renders, one in Arnold 5 (latest C4DtoA 2.0.0.1) and another in Arnold 4 (C4DtoA 1.8.0). Sphere in both cases should be transparent. I only managed to do this in Arnold 4, as usual.
What do you think? It's like residual roughness is present in Arnold 5 transparent material which cannot be turned off.
Scene is simple backdrop with HDR and the sphere.
I tried this on two different machines, Windows 10 and OSX.
Edit: Added additional two renders to further illustrate the issue. Note: sphere and shader ball are not touching each other.

Arnold 4 (C4DtoA 1.8.0), Opaque turned off, IOR=1

Arnold 5 (C4DtoA 2.0.0.1), Opaque turned off, IOR=1

Arnold 5 (C4DtoA 2.0.0.1), No Sphere

Arnold 5 (C4DtoA 2.0.0.1), Shader Ball & Sphere

Edit: Found what was causing this:

Marked Setting Changed

That little number squared in red was cause of all this (it should be 0 in Arnold 5). Not sure how that happened. Those settings below I don't usually mess with.
So, takeaway would be if you have to repurpose old Arnold files, don't look only at shaders, render settings could and will mess with your render (not only quality-wise), obviously. Or do not repurpose old Arnold files at all if you don't have to, start always with a fresh scene.

reply share thread