Junior 3D Artist, do I have what it takes?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2013
Junior 3D Artist, do I have what it takes?

Hey everyone,

I know that's a big open question in the title, but I've been searching for some Junior/Graduate work for around 8 months now. Kinda getting nowhere, still loving what I'm doing and bossing out the work and feel like I've come along a lot, but that's only my own eye. I keep posting places asking for peer reviews and not getting anything... so yeah, simply, do I have what it takes to get hired at the moment. I know my reel needs updating but to be honest, if its all just a pile of crap then what's the point wasting the time updating it?

Blog is at: http://www.harperillustration.com

Plus if you think there's any other reason why I might be struggling to get into this industry, do let me know. Thanks.

12 December 2013
with your current showreel, it's not enough...i wouldn't be the best to give feedback as modeling isn't my area. if i were into modeling, i'd hang out at places like zbrush or the sculpting software forums, even conceptart forums would be good since the 2d aspect of it ties in with 3d.

all i can say is it's too early to give up. 8 months? keep pushing yourself to do bigger projects. if you're quick to give up on something because you're having a hard time, you probably won't accomplish much down the line. good luck!

12 December 2013
Ahh, thanks. Well, there's no way I'm gonna give up. That's not what I meant, it was more I meant that I'm not going to put naff work into my reel, I'd rather spend more time creating than updating and rendering, only when I have something worth it will I put it in my reel!

Deep down I know my reel is lacking, but what about the other work, like my latest stuff on the front page? Such as the Tommy Gun etc?

12 December 2013
I dont think its that bad. I mean if you are looking for a bottom of the ladder job position then its just fine.
There are high end job positions in high end studios but the job market is not only there to be filled with seasoned veterans. Im sure there are studios doing TV series, small commercials and stuff like that where you would fit in.
Perhaps you are targeting the wrong studios ?

cheers,

best of luck!

12 December 2013
Yeah, thanks man. I'm totally looking for a bottom of the ladder job, I've got no illusions that I'm currently anything more than that thanks to both of you for the replies.

01 January 2014
That's not bad at all. If I was going to be super critical I'd say your busts are currently the weakest link, maybe put a little work into some anatomy studies?

There's certainly plenty of potential there, just keep at it.

01 January 2014
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread