nhmChallenge_Dominik_Kirouac

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2007
nhmChallenge_Dominik_Kirouac

Ok these are not my first try with photoshop, but for a matte painting, yes it is. I have some base skills in photoshop an want to get them at another level. I hope i'll be able to do this with this challenge.

I'll post the step one tonight and one concept for step 3 hte pic are at home.

Have fun guys and girls!!!

04 April 2007
Et voila !

04 April 2007
Damn. That looks bloody cool

04 April 2007
Nice concept and cinematic direction, However this would be really nice if you could take the paint work to a photorealistic level.

Keep at it

- Dave.

04 April 2007
It could be very nice if some of u can share some site where they have free royalty photos. I personnaly use http://www.sxc.hu/ for the moment...

Thx LeoNeet for the support

Everlite i hope i'll be able to bring this to a photorealistic level too I'll have to find some roots and creepers photos. I'm still not sure about the propotion of the final picture, i think i'll go for a 16/9 format. Is it 720*366 too small for a final pict ?

I'll probably go for a camera move for this one, that could be a nice exercice, i have my first class about camera projection tomorrow. I'll give u some new concept soon and the clean step 2 also...

Gnight ZZZZzzzzzz!!!

04 April 2007
Thanks for the advice with my cahllenge, yours is looking good. I like the idea and the crashed plane. The only point I can see is how does the waterfall get up there? Not that it matters really, sorry.
Matty2x4

04 April 2007
Matty for the waterfall that a good point, i tryed to put something like a mountain near or something like that, i'll try to put this more evident.

Thx for the comment really constructive

04 April 2007
Regarding images i personally use www.istockphoto.com though not free i'm afraid. I know a lot of people who tend to use google images (set to high res) both amatuers and professionals alike. Though of course this is technically copyright theft.

- Dave.

04 April 2007
Regarding images i personally use www.istockphoto.com though not free i'm afraid. I know a lot of people who tend to use google images (set to high res) both amatuers and professionals alike. Though of course this is technically copyright theft.

- Dave.

04 April 2007
Awesome concept!!

I use http://www.sxc.hu/ as well. Thats where I get most if not all my photos. Most are high res and royalty free

Keep it up!

Cheers

04 April 2007
nice concept, the first one I see using a mood and dramatic lighting, I would consider to do a 16:9 crop , we're doing here a matte painitng ot just an ilustration, matte painitng are always used on films, so try to attach to that aspect

04 April 2007
Yep i'll go for the crop 16/9, i wasn't sure if i can do that. I thought that i had to kept the original proportion + 50% on the left.

I'll post another concept soon

Thx for the comment, jamesvfx, i'll try to push that mood further. I'll supress the plane cause if not, i'll have to break the building more then that, cause plane crash cause lot of damage.

04 April 2007
lot of time past on this one hope u like it, Here another concept. I hope i'll be able to push further for the final image. I prefer the mood in the first one and i'll try to stay in this kind of light, but this one was fun...

04 April 2007
Hm. The first mood was better! This sky is too red!

I use sxc.hu too

But i found another site which search in 4 or 5 database (include sxc.hu):
http://www.everystockphoto.com/

04 April 2007
Yeh i agree, the first one was much better, i found it instantly drew interest, just needed cleaning up and little extra work. The recent concept feels like two seperate images side by side, the left is out of scale with the right and the perspective is completely different. Also when creating a red sky try and find and actually photo reference to use, just applying a colour filter over a day shot never gives a convincing effect.

Hope that helped and wasn't too harsh Personally i really hope you pick up the first concept again; don't change it so much just add to. The main problem on the first one was the green vines, they need to be more photo realistic by either creating CG vines or finding stock photos and using the mesh warp tool to distort them slightly.

- Dave

Thread Closed share thread