CGTalk > Software > Autodesk Maya
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-11-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
staticmotions
portfolio
USA

Batch Render stopped working after computer crashed

I've had a 5000 frame batch render running in terminal for the last few days and it recently stopped working after an unrelated computer crash and I can't get it to start back up. I got it working again within maya, but not with terminal, and it's a lot slower using maya.

The problem started when I tried using after effects in the background to put together another video file. I had around 30gb of free space at the time, and the video i was creating ended up being 10gb, but i still got an error message saying that my computer was out of memory and after effects and my batch render in terminal both came to a halt. I have 12 cpu cores and a ton of memory so i have never had this problem before.

I quit after effects and terminal, and deleted the video file that i had just created, but after deleting the 10gb video file my computer claimed it only had 6gb of space, so i went ahead and restarted. after the restart i had my 30gb back and everything was fine. i went back into terminal and ran the last command that had been run (which was for the batch render) only i changed the starting frame to where it was when it crashed.

terminal started the render, went through all of the normal loading/generating/parsing steps, but then hung when it got to here:

//loading /applications/autodesk/mentalrayformaya2014/shaders/useribl.dylib
//generating maya nodes
File read in 3 seconds.

Normally this is when terminal starts rendering out the first scene, but it just hangs there. I have tried restarting and i have rechecked my terminal codes, but it still hangs.

i will paste the terminal command that i ran below, but that shouldn't be a problem because i didn't type it in, i just ran the last command that had been run which rendered about 3000 frames before it crashed.

/Applications/Autodesk/maya2014/Maya.app/Contents/bin/Render -r mr -s 3742 -e 5000 -proj /Users/Admin/Documents/maya/projects/default/images /Users/Admin/Documents/maya/projects/default/scenes/albansapartment.mb

Here is the real kicker -- the file itself had not been opened or edited since i started the render, but i went ahead and checked it out and the file is still intact. if i try to render it out within maya, it renders just fine... but when i go back to terminal, nothing. I would just use Maya to render it out, but activity monitor shows that maya never uses more than 20% of my cpus, and terminal always uses 99%, which means my rendering times are about 5 times slower with maya. any ideas on what may have changed?

Old 08-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

Not sure what's going on with your terminal, but Maya should be using as many cores as you tell it to, from inside of it, directly. Do you have any affinity overrides set up, in TaskManager or something similar? For example, I often turn off a core or two for Maya while rendering when I'm modeling in Rhino to keep things running smooth...

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 08-12-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
Nureth
portfolio
Hunter Chen
Lewisville, USA

Go to Rendering > Render > Batch Render > Option Box. Is "Use all available processors" checked?

Old 08-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Opinions are mine. You can't have them.
San_Francisrococo, USA

it looks like you're on OS X - run two disk maintenance things to see if it's filesystem or permissions problems. Reboot the computer holding down command-S and when it boots to the text command line, enter

fsck -fy

and let it check the disk for errors. You can do the same thing with the disk recovery util (command-R) if you'd rather use a GUI and Disk Utility. and also do a permissions repair with Disk Utility - you can do that while being logged in.

I haven't seen that problem though

Old 08-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
staticmotions
portfolio
USA

Ok, this is very odd. I got terminal render to start again, but I didn't change any settings.

When terminal render wasn't working I opened Maya and rendered through the program. What was odd was that activity monitor showed that maya was using 99% of cpu -- and I have never seen maya use more than around 20% before. Terminal render is always at 99%, but this was a first for maya.

When I saw that maya could still render, I restarted my computer and re-ran terminal, and voila, up and running again.

Being curious I shut the terminal render down and reopened maya and restarted the render -- back down to it's normal 20%.

I replicated the error by rerunning terminal render and hitting the restart button on my computer while it was rendering. When the computer started back up, terminal render was broken again. I opened up Maya, ran render, back up to 99%. Closed that, reopened terminal -- up and running again.

It seems that the solution to fix terminal render was to open up maya and a start a render within the program, and then shut it down after it got throughout the first frame, and then open up terminal and rerun the render. The really strange part is that despite having tweaked every render setting within maya, the only time maya has ever used more than 20% of my cpu, were the two times I tried using it because terminal render wasn't working. I should note that I never had these problems with maya 2011 -- only after upgrading to 2014.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread