Steam Machine problem

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2014
Steam Machine problem

Hey, i want make the james watt steam engine, but i have a problem in two cogwheel!(Letters H and I)

I will make the machine with dynamics, because i don´t know much about xpresso!

This is a link for a video with the function.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSKy-Uv-aUc

Thanks!

01 January 2014
I am not sure about your question, but nevertheless THIS could be your solution.

Regards, Robert

01 January 2014
1-I think what you are asking about is the function of H&I gears ?
If so, "H" is connected to the axel of the flywheel "G" and "I" seems to be a locked
or slave gear that does not rotate but is used to drive ... rotate "H".

Built models replace "I" with a offset crank handle attached directly to "H" ... see attachment.

2- Or, if the link shows "Your Work In Progress", then I see that "I" is not rotating around "H".
Using dynamics to have the teeth of gears affect another gear ... that's a problem best solved
with Robert's suggestion above ... key framing the rotation.

If this is not your question ... please disregard this post

Edit: Better yet ... See Ryan's post below with the great animated samples

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

Last edited by vid2k2 : 01 January 2014 at 11:30 PM.

01 January 2014
Ohhhh, that looks like a fun model to build and animate! I have animated several steam engines for fun and I highly recommend IK joints and some simple xpresso to control your drive gear rotation. I would also setup a user data slider to control speed of the drive gear rotation.

Ryan

01 January 2014
Hey Ryan cool stuff you have!=)

Do you have any tutorials? i don't understand xpresso very much! if you can help me with a tutorial it will be awesome!

01 January 2014
Originally Posted by pfortuna86: I will make the machine with dynamics, because i don´t know much about xpresso!

Using a physics engine to make the device move is a very bad idea, simple mechanical animations should really be keyframed or use simple expressions, all that will happen with dynamics is youll spend hours trying to make it work, then the cogs will slip and parts will fly off where they shouldnt.

01 January 2014
How good is your german?
The best engine control tutorials i know are from Jürgen Meier
http://www.3d-meier.de/tut16/Seite0.html

01 January 2014
My German...don't understand nothing=) but i will try with google translator!

My hope is that ryan can help me understand what he do..=) and how he do that amazing machines!

Once i make a simple steam train engine with dynamics, but this e just can't make it, just what Matthew say, the objects fly out for every where.=S

Thans all for the help, if anyone find any more things about it please let me know=).

01 January 2014
I don't know of any specific tutorials directly aimed at a steam engine, but I have dissected many of the German xpresso setups that Bjorn linked. I also used Google Translate to help me and that helped for the basis of some engine animations I have done. In other cases, I used several constraints tutorials (I now use Cactus Dan's CD Constraints) to help with other approaches to animating pistons and engine cams.

The engines I've animated are a culmination of lots of practice of trying simple things and eventually expanding on them as I learn more. Check out some simple xpresso tutorials and get the hang of making objects interact with one another and also try some simple IK tutorials to see how they work. I also suggest some basic constraint tutorials and applying it to the locomotive model you setup with dynamics. Sorry I don't have any direct links handy, but google is your friend here, as well as searching this forum for constraint and IK help.

Start simple with a single piston rig using xpresso to rotate the crank and constraints to keep the piston on the y-axis.

Oh yeah, and make sure you learn how to center or position the object axes for proper rotation. I hope this helps!

Ryan

01 January 2014
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread