WIP: Hotel Lobby/Bar

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
WIP: Hotel Lobby/Bar

Hello,

I am looking for some helpful criticism on my image. This is a hotel lobby/bar - 3ds Max/VRay.

This is my first posting as a long time member, so I am anxious to see what others think of my work; lighting/materials/etc.

My main concern = camera is too wide (a request by the client), so I am working on correcting that.

All C/C welcome and will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Akueous : 03 March 2013 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Moved Img Link

03 March 2013
There is a lack of a focal point. My eyes sort of wander the image, confused, not knowing what to look at. The shadows seem weird to me, I can't really tell what the main light source is. Can you tell us more about the light set up, and what lights are casting the shadows?

The light cast on the ground from the light outside the window doesn't seem to be helping much. Maybe use a diffused, volumetric light outside the window.

And, then try to use lighting to give the eye a focus point. Even if it's subtle, creating a bit of a vignette.

Try to think about the exposure of the lighting in the image. Maybe the light illuminates the bar just a bit more - giving you a focus point for the eye.

I guess those are my thoughts/opinions.

03 March 2013
Josh,

Thank you for the comments; all great and items I have yet to think about - obviously.

In regards to the lighting rig: i have a general fill, lights for the drop down fixtures, lights @ the candles, and a strong hdri coming in from the exterior.

I agree with all of you comments and I thank you for your time.

-kevin

03 March 2013
Hey man,

I really like the style! Do your materials have specular highlights on them? I think I see a bunch of errant highlights on the ceiling. Are the windows meant to be letting in light? I think I see a shadow from the sun cast on the floor, but its not very bright. I know your going for a stylized look, but it might help to tone down the interior lights a touch, and allow the windows to illuminate more of the scene.

-AJ

03 March 2013
AJ,

Thank for the comments. I think that I definitely need to tone-down the interior lights. In regards to your question(s):

1. Highlights = yes

2. The ceiling highlights = right outside the windows is the water (the East River NYC) so the room is filled with reflected light during the day from the water surface.

Thank you,
Kevin

03 March 2013
Unless the client specifically requested light reflected from the water, I would suggest losing it. It's cool that you want to make it accurate to it's location, but it seems like a bit of an over complication. As a viewer, since you don't see the water in the image, there isn't really context for the reflected light, so it's a bit confusing.

03 March 2013
The first thing I notice when I look at this is the wall behind the bar. The complex detail is a little blinding and for me its a distraction from the rest of the environment. I like the artwork on the wall; it definitely reminds me of a place I go to locally.

I noticed that the lamp in the middle is round, but the lamps on the sides are stretched in perspective. I wonder if this was on purpose or if perhaps we're seeing a stretched perspective in this image?

03 March 2013
Latest Update...

Thanks to everyone for the great comments; I appreciate you taking the time to comment and help me out. Here is an updated image; I dropped the light levels and made a few material changes. I am going to continue to adjust the lighting a bit (around the bar) and right now I am working on swapping-out the furniture in the left foreground…

Hopefully I will have time by the end of the week to post another update. All C/C welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

-kevin

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread