Photocopy, from scratch

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Photocopy, from scratch

so i could use some input on this

yes, face is wrong i know x/ have no patience for the little details

and the video process:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdpyl_azF7Q

02 February 2013
I like the idealization choices you made--you didn't just blindly copy the photo without injecting your own aesthetic sensibility.

As for the matter of patience, it's actually what makes or breaks some images. See, facial features require more precision than the rest of the body, and if you are off by even just a little, it'll just look wrong, as if the person's face is misshapen.

If your goal is to do the best work you're capable of, then you only stop when you have reached the absolute limit of your skill and knowledge--patience shouldn't play a part in what stops your work from being the best you can do. It's a matter of artistic pride and integrity. If you know you can make it better, then do it. But I guess it depends on how serious you are about your work. If you just want to have fun and don't have aspirations to be the best you can be, then it doesn't matter--just enjoy yourself. But if you have professional aspirations or personal aspiration of being the best artist you can possibly be, then push a little more.

I see some artists using dark lines to increase readability in images that aren't supposed to be based on line-art styles, and these dark lines are used only in some areas and aren't consistent with the overall style. I generally advocate you don't do that. Use proper management of values and edges to define readability--don't just draw outlines whenever you need them--it's just not an elegant solution.

I won't comment on the intent behind the image, since this is obviously done as a piece of eye-candy and not meant to be more.

02 February 2013
About the face and the rest of the body:

The highlight on the nose, its edge is too sharp, needs to be blended a bit. And I don't think its that high up.

The hair front is not so light, add some darker tones, it will create more depth.

The lit face side looks plastic, use a spatter brush and add some dots of slightly darker or different color and blend it in. Use low strength on the brush. That will create a more realistic skin.

The lower eye lids are not so dark and thick. Also some soft grey in the eye white which will create a more realistic rounded eye.

Her left arm is missing its shadow behind the hair which creates a flat effect, add the shadow to show depth and form. Also I would lose the edge a bit since its to back and in the shadow.

Regarding the left hand, lose those black lines for more realistic look and the thumb line is too steep. and you can put some of that manicure colour.

The breast line is not such a hard edge, same advice as the lit skin as well, the spatter brush. Also there is a shadow on her left breast from the laces which is missing which would show more form to the viewer.

The shoes are missing a highlight at the midpoint. Also the sole front tip should be grey not black.

Awesome work man, it would be a waste to stop now over these small details.

Last edited by FarisB : 02 February 2013 at 12:07 PM.

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread