mindgoo
Freelance 3D Illustrator

portfolio
Jon Tuttle
Knightfall 3D
Hatfield, United%2BKingdom

Send a message via MSN to mindgoo
Hey,

Looks much better with the lighting change. Can't add anything to Pyke's advice above. Just checked and its the March 2013 issue of 3D World, not Feb. My apologies!

Jon.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #17
Schreibzilla
Schreibzilla

portfolio
Andrew Schreiber
Synthetic Environment Designer
FlightSafety International VSS
St. Louis, USA

Thanks Pyke and Mindgoo! That helps a ton. I feel like I can really improve the building now, I guess I never thought of the encompassing structure as concrete. I think I thought of it as some kind of magical modern pure white glossy material that doesn't really exist haha.

It's time to add some improvements, I will be posting an update later today or tonight. Thanks again for the advice!

Edit: I took your advice also on just doing a brute force render as opposed to irradiance map/light cache combo. This is the result. It render a little faster.
St. Louis, Missouri

Last edited by Schreibzilla : 02-26-2013 at 04:20 PM.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 PM   #18
Schreibzilla
Schreibzilla

portfolio
Andrew Schreiber
St. Louis, USA

Hello all,

I have made some major changes to the physical structure as well as some textures. I added a clean concrete texture for the encasing slabs of concrete. I also extended the top slab an inch or so outside of the outer walls/front and rear of the building to make it look like the slab is resting on top of the walls, that they are taking the load (not the other way around). In addition to that I chamfered all edges of the concrete so it looks a little more polished (and a little less dangerously pointy ) I also took out the sliding glass doors into the kitchen because when I thought about it, they weren't really functional, as there is no reason to walk outside at that area of the house. Instead I replaced it with a protruding window where there will be various houseplants. I put two basic hanging lights in that area as well as a wooden rod that a small curtain will be hung from later.

I am having one issue that is frustrating me to no end. I cannot figure out why any additional light sources are not being rendered. I have maybe 8 basic VRay directional lights lining the front of the house, but they do not render no matter how high they are turned up or where they are placed. I turned them red to make sure they weren't blending in with anything and as you can see in the render, only half have the weird red effect you see on the floor of the porch (The lights are located at the ceiling) and the other don't appear at all. In addition to those lights, I have two Vray IES lights hanging in the protruding window that are not showing any light at all, no matter how much they are turned up, moved, sized, etc. I am using a VRay dome light with an hdr map to light the whole scene (same hdr that is the environment). I tried to use VRay sun in place of that to see if the lights would appear, but to no avail.

Here is the render:

Here are the screenshots of the render settings I used as well. Any help is greatly greatly appreciated. because I be getting frustrated! I have two more screenshots it wont let me attach

Thanks guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (89.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (88.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (90.1 KB, 0 views)
St. Louis, Missouri

Old 02-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #19
Schreibzilla
Schreibzilla

portfolio
Andrew Schreiber
St. Louis, USA

Here are the other two of my render settings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (88.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (89.2 KB, 2 views)
St. Louis, Missouri

Old 02-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #20
mindgoo
Freelance 3D Illustrator

portfolio
Jon Tuttle
Knightfall 3D

Hi,

What is the power setting on the lights / the multiplier? I've found that you sometimes have to bump it up quite a long way to see the result.

Jon.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:15 AM   #21
Schreibzilla
Schreibzilla

portfolio
Andrew Schreiber
St. Louis, USA

I have the IES Lights power up to 35k but I don't see even a speck
St. Louis, Missouri

Old 02-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #22
mindgoo
Freelance 3D Illustrator

portfolio
Jon Tuttle
Knightfall 3D

Try turning off the dome light and set the environment to black, just to see if they show up at all.

If not, push the lights power up in stages by about 10k each time until you can see them. Use the region render so you don't have to render the entire image every time.

Once you get to a point where you can see the lights, switch the dome light back on and re-attach it to the environment and render again, to see if they still show up. With the HDRI and dome you might have to put the power of the IES ones up quite high to be able to see any results.

Hope that helps!

Jon.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #23
Schreibzilla
Schreibzilla

portfolio
Andrew Schreiber
St. Louis, USA

Thanks for the help! I haven't posted an update I have been working on modeling the rest of the house, and got a new laptop (XPS 12) convertible and have been trying to get used to modeling with ZBrush on the touchscreen and modeling in 3ds max on a ssmaller screen. Here is the most recent render of the exterior. Thanks everyone!

I was able to work out the kinks with the lighting, I think there was just a bug in the dome lighting conflicting with a hidden VRay sun node.

St. Louis, Missouri

Old 03-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #24
mindgoo
Freelance 3D Illustrator

portfolio
Jon Tuttle
Knightfall 3D

I'm glad you got your internal lights working. The problem is now that it looks like the foreground and background are entirely separate - the background image is dim, yet the ground plane is brightly lit. Is the dome light creating the illumination or is the VRay Sun? I would personally delete the VRay Sun and let the dome do the lighting. You may need to look at the exposure settings on the camera or in the environment dialog as that can cause your internal lighting to get bleached out.

You may also need to adjust the multiplier on the dome or your internal lights to get a good balance.

Have a look at this:

http://www.3dworldmag.com/2013/02/2...outdoor-scenes/

This gives a lot of good advice.

I look forward to seeing your next update!

Jon.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #25
Schreibzilla
Schreibzilla

portfolio
Andrew Schreiber
St. Louis, USA

Thanks for the resource! I will be posting in the next day or so.
St. Louis, Missouri

Old 03-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #26
Schreibzilla
Schreibzilla

portfolio
Andrew Schreiber
St. Louis, USA

Okay I am back. I was able to get the interior lights working with the dusk/moonlight natural light for the exterior. It looks a little more natural now but I know it has a ways to go. I have been working on the furniture for the interior and some other exterior elements. Let me know what you think! Thanks!

St. Louis, Missouri

Old 03-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #27
Schreibzilla
Schreibzilla

portfolio
Andrew Schreiber
St. Louis, USA

Also, I thought I would give you a quick pre-viz look at what the interior will look like. I need to fix some of the lighting and modeling issues but things are moving along!
St. Louis, Missouri

Old 11-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #28
Schreibzilla
Schreibzilla

portfolio
Andrew Schreiber
St. Louis, USA

I have been out for awhile. I got a job as a Synthetic Environment Designer at a flight simulator company here in St. Louis so I haven't had time to update this threat on the project. I made a lot of progress on it but basically left it at what it is. It is on my website at www.andrewschreibercg.com under Architectural Visualization.

P.S. I am starting a podcast called the "The Third Dimension" within the next few days that is everything related to 3-D art/animation/digital art/software/hardware and the industry itself. I have a lot of topics lined up and was wondering if anyone would be interested in listening while they work (I know I listen to a lot of tech podcasts while I work). I set up a preliminary site at http://the3rdDimension.podbean.com. Updates will come. Let me know what you think and if you would be interested in listening while you all do your mindless work.
St. Louis, Missouri

Old 11-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #29
Schreibzilla
Schreibzilla

portfolio
Andrew Schreiber
St. Louis, USA

I plan on starting a new environmental modeling project here soon. I need some concept art to work from first. I am not the best at concept art, any suggestions?
St. Louis, Missouri

Old 11-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #30
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread