Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
HaoushokuHaki

portfolio
Antonio
Germany

Improvements and Criticism

Im actually modeling a Character for a Game im still a beginner but i wish to improve so
im try to get improvement by criticism from others.

Im on the head part atm and trying to get it cleaner, the complete model should rest between 1000-1500 Polys cuz of the filesize.

Actually this is my second try on a human head my first was so bad that i restarted -.-

Old 05-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
Psyk0
Freelance chacha teacher

portfolio
Patrick Boisvert
3D / 2D Artist
Soldak Entertainment
Quebec, Canada

Send a message via MSN to Psyk0
There's no shortcut for mastering characters, tons of practice and learning anatomy are key elements. So whatever you create, try to improve over your last attempt and your skills will grow with each iteration.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
HaoushokuHaki

portfolio
Antonio
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyk0
There's no shortcut for mastering characters, tons of practice and learning anatomy are key elements. So whatever you create, try to improve over your last attempt and your skills will grow with each iteration.

learning by doing thats all? isnt there a point where self appropriated skills stop to improve?
doesnt the learning success increase faster if i exchange my modeling experience with others?

Old 05-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
Fantilir
portfolio
Fan Sol
Vendu, BE

Hey HaoushokuHaki,

The things you can improve :

- The overall shape. Atm, your character is far from a realistic head shape. Assuming you are modeling something more "cartoon" you can alter the proportions but now it looks more like you can not modelize a real head. To help you resolve this, I advice you to search for photos of different people's head FRONT view and SIDE view, then use them as a base in your modeling process. To find some photos easily you can search for pictures of reknown actors/actress.

- The use of your edges/vertices. Seems you add edges/vertices with tools like "insert loop edges" or things like that, only to model some details, then you leave all the others edges created. This way, you increase the number of polys highly, but the details of your character remains low. Instead of doing it this way, you must try to take advantage of every edge/vertice you put on your character. For example you could use the neck's edges on the front to model a bit the throat and muscles, if you were modeling a realistic human head.

- Something else you might think about is "How do I start modeling ?". The way you start modeling influence much your final result (at least, I believe so). One good way is to start by modeling an overall very simple shapes, then, refine them to obtain a higher detailed version. Try to visualize the model before you start modeling. For example, try to imagine how many polys could compose the general shape of a cheek ? Do that for every part of the body so you can optimize your poly count. If needed, draw over a photo the edges you think might be useful.

- Finally, try, as much as you can, to work with references and a predefined design. If you are comfortable with 3D you may start modeling with nothing but a rough idea and extrapolate from that, but since you are a beginner, find some art/photos that looks like the object you want to model. using these and your personnal ideas, draw a design of the object. It is even better if you can draw face/side views of the model (back too ..). Please notice that I am not suggesting you to copy the work of other artists, but having these references will help you to define what you want and how to do it.

Hope it helps ...

Old 05-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
HaoushokuHaki

portfolio
Antonio
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantilir
Hey HaoushokuHaki,

The things you can improve :

- The overall shape. Atm, your character is far from a realistic head shape. Assuming you are modeling something more "cartoon" you can alter the proportions but now it looks more like you can not modelize a real head. To help you resolve this, I advice you to search for photos of different people's head FRONT view and SIDE view, then use them as a base in your modeling process. To find some photos easily you can search for pictures of reknown actors/actress.

- The use of your edges/vertices. Seems you add edges/vertices with tools like "insert loop edges" or things like that, only to model some details, then you leave all the others edges created. This way, you increase the number of polys highly, but the details of your character remains low. Instead of doing it this way, you must try to take advantage of every edge/vertice you put on your character. For example you could use the neck's edges on the front to model a bit the throat and muscles, if you were modeling a realistic human head.

- Something else you might think about is "How do I start modeling ?". The way you start modeling influence much your final result (at least, I believe so). One good way is to start by modeling an overall very simple shapes, then, refine them to obtain a higher detailed version. Try to visualize the model before you start modeling. For example, try to imagine how many polys could compose the general shape of a cheek ? Do that for every part of the body so you can optimize your poly count. If needed, draw over a photo the edges you think might be useful.

- Finally, try, as much as you can, to work with references and a predefined design. If you are comfortable with 3D you may start modeling with nothing but a rough idea and extrapolate from that, but since you are a beginner, find some art/photos that looks like the object you want to model. using these and your personnal ideas, draw a design of the object. It is even better if you can draw face/side views of the model (back too ..). Please notice that I am not suggesting you to copy the work of other artists, but having these references will help you to define what you want and how to do it.

Hope it helps ...

Thanks for the detailed answer,
ill try my best

Old 05-13-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
Psyk0
Freelance chacha teacher

portfolio
Patrick Boisvert
3D / 2D Artist
Soldak Entertainment
Quebec, Canada

Send a message via MSN to Psyk0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaoushokuHaki
learning by doing thats all? isnt there a point where self appropriated skills stop to improve?
doesnt the learning success increase faster if i exchange my modeling experience with others?

Yes, feedback is important, but keep in mind that you have to do all the ground work by learning figurative art, even if you want to create stylized characters. That's what i meant, also i can't see your images if you posted any...?

Old 05-13-2013, 11:13 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread