Old 03-30-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
deBage
portfolio
Charles Almeida Moreira
Designer Gráfico
PSafe
Florianópolis, Brazil

WIP - orcs of war

Hello everybody! This is my first time posting something here, and I'll appreciate any suggestions, criticism and comments on this study.

I'm trying to do an art like the orcs in World of Warcraft. I just got to have fun doing it in a notepad (note to because of cartoon drawing in the left corner) and I decided to paint it in the end. A friend of mine sugested me to draw a troll instead orc with a bow, maybe I'll do that.

Already apologize because my English is not so good. If you have any tips for me, please go ahead. See ya!

Last edited by deBage : 04-01-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
rodrigosilva
portfolio
Rodrigo Silva
Graphic Designer
Florianópolis, Brazil

Talking

Nice job, awesome anatomy and deep field. In my opinion you could separete more those guys on the back. The one in the back is as sharp as that in front of him. I also liked the composition very much.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
deBage
portfolio
Charles Almeida Moreira
Designer Gráfico
PSafe
Florianópolis, Brazil

Thank you, Rodrigo! The tips you gave me were very good! I'll try it on my next step, I might switch back that orc (which with the bow) for a troll, a character a little slimmer. Thank you!

Old 04-03-2013, 04:55 AM   #4
deBage
portfolio
Charles Almeida Moreira
Designer Gráfico
PSafe
Florianópolis, Brazil

One more step.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:01 AM   #5
deBage
portfolio
Charles Almeida Moreira
Designer Gráfico
PSafe
Florianópolis, Brazil

I tried to improve the background characters in this step. I'll add more details and change many things in the background orc, and I will transform it into a shaman.. I believe it has gotten better. Thanks for the comments, Rodrigo Silva. I would also like to thank friends Victor Kai and Paulo Italo, who gave good suggestions about the characters in the background. And I hope more tips!!

Last edited by deBage : 04-03-2013 at 12:02 PM.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
gmagno
Veteran

portfolio
Gilberto Magno
gmagno
São Paulo, Brazil

Charles is getting pretty cool! I like the composition! You could work the effect of fog and depth of field to help make palaralax between them and highlight best the plans.This draw has much potential... continues

Old 04-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
deBage
portfolio
Charles Almeida Moreira
Designer Gráfico
PSafe
Florianópolis, Brazil

Hello Gilberto, my good friend. Thanks, I'll search on the best ways to apply fog and depth of field. Perhaps the final step I make some ruins in the background, in the dust, to give a realistic atmosphere. Thanks for your words and advice, I really think this will work great ......... because it is already difficult.

See ya!!

Old 04-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

The archer guy's missing a neck. You need to move his head a bit higher and show that he has a neck, regardless how short it might be.

The composition looks awkward. You have your major shapes all lined up perfectly horizontal and vertical, creating a stiff visual design that has no sense of visual movement and balance. The top of the foreground guy's head is flush with the top of the archer guy's head, and the archer guy's position is roughly the same as the hammer guy vertically. You should offset them so that the composition is more organic. Read about basic composition guidelines if you don't know anything about composition. The most basic ones are the "rule-of-thirds" and "golden ratio."

Old 04-18-2013, 05:25 AM   #9
deBage
portfolio
Charles Almeida Moreira
Designer Gráfico
PSafe
Florianópolis, Brazil

Thank you, Lunatique. I saw your reply just now, I'll search for more informations about composition, like you said me. I have changed some parts of this art, now the archer is turning a shaman (thanks for the advice, Victor Kai), and I have worked more in their teeth. I'll work much more yet, I need draw a coolest warhammer (and in the correctly position) for the guy in the middle, and put some scars and armor in all orcs. Please, send me your critiques, they are helping me so much!

Old 04-18-2013, 05:27 AM   #10
deBage
portfolio
Charles Almeida Moreira
Designer Gráfico
PSafe
Florianópolis, Brazil

Here's the difference between the last steps.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #11
rodrigosilva
portfolio
Rodrigo Silva
Graphic Designer
Florianópolis, Brazil

Pretty Amazing!!!

It have become pretty amazing, dude! I just saw that you live in Floripa too. I live in Canasvieiras. I just have finished college, i was studying graphic design at UDESC, and now i'm studying to be a concept designer by myself researshing from the web and looking at others students and professionals like you. Where do you study? Do you know about any course or "estágio" here in Florianópolis? Are you working in games or film industry right now? If you want chat about concept design send me an e-mail or reply one of my posts,

I woud like a feedback about my work too.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=31&t=1100645

Again, nice job!

Old 04-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #12
deBage
portfolio
Charles Almeida Moreira
Designer Gráfico
PSafe
Florianópolis, Brazil

Thumbs up

Hello, Rodrigo! I was living in Canasvieiras until last year, but now I'm living in Trindade, near at my work. At this moment I'm working with character design and videos for a company of web protection, doing the advertising pieces. I know about some oportunities in other companies, add my skype and we can talk about this: charles_de_bage.

See you later, mate!! Thanks for your words!!

Old 04-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #13
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread