Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-14-2013, 02:35 AM   #1
RTLdan
portfolio
USA

Modeling using mechanical drawings?

Hello!
As a complete newbie to the whole 3D modeling thing, I can't seem to find an exact answer to my question:

If I have the mechanical drawings and dimensions for an object, is there an easier way to model it than to create curves and trace the drawing? Is there a general way inside of most of the CAD offerings to just input the dimensions? In my particular case I'm trying to model an iphone from the mechanical drawings offered by apple. Some of the NURBS tutorials I have seen seem a little overkill - using curves to trace the outline, extruding curves, etc. It just seems like a lot of work when most of the dimensions are already provided (not to mention, wouldn't the dimensional drawings data be more accurate than trying to recreate a curve)?
I'm sorry if I'm not phrasing this question right. Not really sure how else to ask it.
Thank you in advance for any advice!
Sorry this is such a basic question.
-Daniel
Portland, Oregon

Old 02-18-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

It depends on what you need to use it for. If your just making eye candy ad material, you could just model it with polys in a program like Maya or Max. You could use image planes to line up your model, or just build it from eye.

If this is something that needs to be manufactured, you might want to look at making it in a CAD program like Solidworks. Usually you can hire a CAD engineer to make the drawings from your concept art.

-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 02-18-2013 at 12:20 AM.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:10 AM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread