CGTalk > Software > Pixologic ZBrush
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 12-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #1
mettam
PRO
Justin Mettam

Need advice on work flow.

I have this problem where I need to start to build the ears, but I don't have enough polys in that region. If I use Dynamesh as I work to add more polys, it seems to effect the detail work I have already done on the face,( Dynamesh kind of smooths out the facial features which is not good).
Can any one suggest how I can build out the ears on my object and not effect the detail work I have already done to the face ? I really thought Dynamesh would have been the answer.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
feat
Scout
portfolio
Tristan Matchett
Australia

I think Dynamesh was originally intended to establish form for low to medium resolution level sculpts.

The idea is to shape your base design with dynamesh and then subdivide for further detail, using QRemesher when needed.

However you could try and dial back the Blur slider to prevent dynamesh from smoothing back some of your detail.

Hope this helps.

PS: If you find there is no way to retain the detail of the face you have already sculpted then you could duplicate the original mesh before fixing the ears with dynamesh and project the detail after you have finished.

The results may vary but it's worth the try.

Last edited by feat : 12-23-2012 at 03:27 PM. Reason: amendment

Old 12-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
mettam
PRO
Justin Mettam

Thank you for your response, I got some very useful ideas from your reply.

I have a question about the QRemesher:
As I understand it QRemesher can reduce and increase poly density while also laying out the polys into nicely flowing quads, useful for rigging. Does it also subdivide (increase or decrease) specific areas of the sculpt, for example the ear region, while leaving the poly count around the face the same?

Old 12-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

Did you try turning off smoothing first? Or masking the area you don't want to dynamesh?

Old 12-24-2012, 01:25 AM   #5
informerman
Expert

portfolio
EZ-Brush
dallas, USA

Last edited by informerman : 12-24-2012 at 02:52 AM.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:45 AM   #6
informerman
Expert

portfolio
EZ-Brush
dallas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillster
Did you try turning off smoothing first? Or masking the area you don't want to dynamesh?

if you mask the area you dont want dynamesh then how do you dynamesh it?
dynamesh works by clearing mask

Old 12-26-2012, 03:21 AM   #7
mettam
PRO
Justin Mettam

Thanks for those images and the link to the video informerman.
The images and the video do show that you can have different levels of subdivision in one object but I can't translate that into answering my first question. How to maintain the definition in the face while being able to increase the polycount on the ears so I can start to sculpt definition on the ears.
So far my solution was to separate the head from the body so when I do use Dynamesh to sculpt detail to the head the rest of the body doesn't also subdivide. I also set blur to 0 and increase the resolution to something much higher. This helps a lot, but I still see little changes to the existing face detail every time I Dynamesh.
Prior to separating the head from the body, I was seeing things like the fingers and thigh regions merging when I used Dynamesh.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:21 AM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread