Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-22-2012, 02:16 AM   #1
drizoll

portfolio
Flavio Real
Sao Paulo, Brazil

That Look

Hi everyone, I started this as a study, but I ended up liking the result and decided to finished the painting. I need some critiques, suggestions, please feel free to comment. Thanks

Old 08-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
AndreaGS

portfolio
Andrea Stewart
n/a
West Sacramento, USA

Hi drizoll! I like the lighting in this piece, but the anatomy of her face is off. For example, her nose is connecting seamlessly with her forehead right now. There should be a dip between the eyes, and the shading should reflect that the tip of her nose is further out than the rest of it. There are likewise some issues with her eyes, lips, and ear.

I can do a quick red-line to show you what I mean. Let me know if you'd be up for that!

Old 08-22-2012, 11:16 PM   #3
drizoll

portfolio
Flavio Real
Sao Paulo, Brazil

Sure, I want to improve the painting, and thanks for the reply.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:25 AM   #4
AndreaGS

portfolio
Andrea Stewart
n/a
West Sacramento, USA

Here's the red-line and the red-line without your image.

Now, it's by no means perfect, but do you see what I mean about the shape of the nose? You can cut it down into planes to get an idea of how you should be shading it. The eyes should reflect the fact that we're seeing them at an angle, as should the ear. I hope this helps!

Old 08-23-2012, 06:21 AM   #5
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Other than the anatomy/proportions issue already mentioned, you need to work on how the hair strands flow. Don't have short, broken strokes that don't line up with the general flow/direction of the main hair strands, unless that are actually short, broken strands that stick out of the head.

If you are serious about improving your work, then immediately stop trying to work out of your head and start studying anatomy/figure, and work from references, even if you are doing stylized work. In order to be able to do credible looking work out of your head, you must be a fairly advanced artist with lots of experience, and having studied anatomy extensively. If you are not at that level, you need to study anatomy and consult references, or else the structural integrity of your image will be all over the place and contain too many glaring mistakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 435474_1345514601_large-robedit.jpg (76.2 KB, 12 views)

Old 08-24-2012, 02:10 AM   #6
drizoll

portfolio
Flavio Real
Sao Paulo, Brazil

Thumbs up

Just an update... not finished yet...improving.
Thanks AndreaGS and Lunatique.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:09 AM   #7
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

There are still lots of problems. You ABSOLUTELY must use references when doing something like this, because you lack any authoritative knowledge of anatomy to create something out of your head that looks credible. Advanced artists can do it, but you can't, because you're not advanced enough yet.

Shooting your own references is the best solution, because you can set up the lighting exactly as you want it, instead of scouring the internet for suitable photos that happens to match what you need.

Use family or friends, or yourself (tripos, mirror, camera), and use movable household lights to light the model exactly the way you want. If you are a 3D guy, you can also use 3D as reference, but make sure the 3D model is a good one. If the model has inherent problems with accuracy, then it's not to work.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:20 AM   #8
drizoll

portfolio
Flavio Real
Sao Paulo, Brazil

Smile Improving

Not perfect yet, but I think I improved a little.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:13 AM   #9
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

You are simply polishing something that is structurally unsound. You need to fix it at the structural level, and you need to use proper references, such as I suggested previously. Until you do, your work will not really improve, and you're merely altering the surface instead of fixing the structural problems.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:13 AM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread