Johnny got his gun, Sebastien Sonet (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2009
really nice work!!!
The shadow on the floor is a little bit weard.... the projected one...
maybe if it were blurry or difuse would be better...
Again... Really nice work!

04 April 2009
Great concept and excellent execution of the character. What distracts me a bit is the enviroment, especially the floor. The part where the floor meets the wall looks too CG-Like for me. But that's just peanuts.

Patrick

www.patrickeischen.com

04 April 2009
Quote: hum, I think we can't separate art and politics.

And I think you can, it all depends how you define politics. Some people think that any manufactured object is political, because it shows mankind's raping of the planet. Some people think that a painting of a landscape is political because it shows how the artist is purposely or subconsciously ignoring all the problems of the world. It's all in your head, or my head. And you can't say that's what in your head is better than what's in mine, and I can't say that either. We all have our opinions, and most of the time they are pretty much worth the same - that is, nothing.

About your image - it's technically very well put together, but since you say the idea is the most important thing, I have some crits concerning that. There seems to be some illogic here, which detracts from the message and makes it feel more like abstract art than a real political message. How did the cripple get dressed? Why would he wear a Mickey Mouse t-shirt? that's a bit heavy handed, and has already been done to death. Why is he even on the street, how did he get there, if he's begging where is his bowl? Why would he wear Mexican Day-Of-The-Dead makeup? Why is his nose and eyes looking like he's a zombie? The recruitment poster is from WW2, why is it on this wall if this is about the Iraq war? Are you saying America shouldn't have fought in WW2?

I know for a fact that veterans who come home to family and friends have no such problems as shown here, only those who could already be considered de facto homeless might end up in circumstances even remotely similar to this. The first thing to do when going on a political crusade is to check your facts, then double-check and triple-check them. Otherwise you spend all this effort, for no reason.
That said, I have no idea if the government is or is not helping wounded veterans, and if they are, if it's "enough". (And what is enough anyway?) You may very well have a solid case, who knows. I'm certainly not about to trust someone's opinion online for my facts, that would be crazy.

Perhaps a better way to communicate your idea would have been to have the vet in a really crappy rusty old wheel-chair, with a begging bowl on the ground, and a hand-written sign that says something like "war veteran, please help". One arm and one leg left, otherwise it's just too much to suspend disbelief. No makeup, just a really tired and dejected look on his face. I might also choose the Vietnam war for my subject, because you were more likely to end up like this.

04 April 2009
yes, of course, my treatment for this image is more a caricature than real desire to show things as they really are.
It is a travesty that I wanted easily understandable (poster propaganda ,...).
My goal is not to offend anyone or to criticize a policy over another, but only to get a more general idea about wars and the after war.

(Sorry, I'd like to develop more, but my level of English is very limited )

Originally Posted by Stahlberg: We all have our opinions, and most of the time they are pretty much worth the same - that is, nothing.

Totaly agree with that

04 April 2009
Thumbs up

Technically
is realy cool!

Last edited by Duque : 04 April 2009 at 03:20 PM.

04 April 2009
Quote: Original: XXeb

yes, of course, my treatment for this image is more a caricature than real desire to show things as they really are.
It is a travesty that I wanted easily understandable (poster propaganda ,...).
My goal is not to offend anyone or to criticize a policy over another, but only to get a more general idea about wars and the after war.

You just keep doing what your doing. I, for one, am looking forward to seeing more of your work.

04 April 2009
Originally Posted by chachi007: while this is HIGHLY offensive in my opinion and somewhat tasteless politically, it is technically awesome and really is a VERY well done model and render.

I would go into the politics but this is an ART site....so that being said, well done on the render.

-chachi

I have to agree 100% with chachi007.

Andrew

04 April 2009
I understant it as a caricature of the after wars, there is allways someone (innocent or not) who lost's everything and condemned do death soon or later...

Gooooood work!

04 April 2009
Quote: It is a travesty that I wanted easily understandable (poster propaganda ,...).

Ok I see,
in that case perhaps a bit more stylization could be used, to make it even more exaggerated. Like propaganda posters... more dramatic lighting maybe, more dramatic perspective, more contrasty colors.
Technically very good though, as I mentioned.

04 April 2009
wooow wooooooow woww
great work
i like it
modeling, texture & render & idea is very nice
5*
regards

04 April 2009
Originally Posted by Stahlberg: <snip> And what is enough anyway?</snip>

Enough should be not to have to send them to war in the first place, right?

04 April 2009
Absolutely beautiful. And it fills the definition of 'art', In my opinion. Which is that art is meant to evoke an emotional response in the viewer. To make them think. So if it scares, if it offends, then by goddess it's successful as art. Just my opinion.

06 June 2009
Oh that is so emphatic. It's not everyday one sees something like this that leaves an impact.
Great work.

06 June 2009
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread