InTheCity uses stolen images from other artists

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2005
Don't get me wrong Wurp, I'm not saying that its entirely dissimilar to your render, or not your image or whatever. But either way, its not exactly original art. The G4 notebook and the UI pic on it are Apple computer's design. Its a very common design, a very common laptop, and both renders are very plain renders of a G4 model sitting on a plane with a bunch of spotlights or whatever. It would be very different if it were something like an original character plastered on someone else's website as 'this is my design'.

I'm giving In The City the benefit of a doubt because he's a regular here who does a lot of rendertesting using different 3D apps and renderengines along with others, and the image is just a pic in his concept art section. May be nothing more than a quick fill-in while he's updating his site or something.

Either way people, get in the habit of PMing someone first if you believe they appropriated your image for something without asking permission. I don't like this 'Ba-da-boom, X stole my artwork' crap people stir up and the threads that follow on from it. I might get pissed if someone stuck a completely original character I made in their portfolio and explained in a long fashion how they made the character or something, but stuff like G4 laptop or car/product renders are a dime a dozen these days. Most of them look alike in some way or the other, and almost all are based off some industrial designers original work to begin with.

Get in the habit of simply emailing people if they have some image on their site that doesn't credit you as the creator.

01 January 2005
Jorge Arango I believe thats because of the stretching of the image, if you really wanted you could probably match them perfectly, or it might be that I for some reason had a version that was rendered with a different camera, Im not sure, but apart from the tiny (if any) difference in the camera angle, how come all the highlights and shadows in both images match exactly? I dont think its possible to model the exact same mesh (since I never gave this model out to the public) and at the same time get the lighting and environment to be exactly the same....

waiting for InTheCitys post...

01 January 2005
It's the exact same image, no doubt about that.

The specular width of the materials is exactly the same, as well as the direction of where the light is coming from.

InTheCity should post wireframe renders. Most, if not all artists save their project files.

Furthermore, he usually posts his work over at deviantart or here (without mentioning resources used until he gets the desired amount of comments). Sanfranguy/InTheCity has a history of stealing work in the past.

Comments from deviantart related to InTheCity and stealing work
http://sanfranguy.deviantart.com/ at the botten right of the screen.

"
I did, but it was quite some time ago now, like 4 months maybe.
I borrowed about 5 print pieces to make up for a lack of work due to a re-format.
I removed it on the first request.
It's long since been dealt with and apologies have been given, accepted and people moved on.

You seem like a reasonable guy, so I'll ask you a reasonable question?
What your concern in all of this? Are you just being nosy?
"

Last edited by c4dportal : 01 January 2005 at 01:34 PM.

01 January 2005
psd layered image stretched back out:

http://www.3dfluff.com/files/pb.zip

Im not shocked that this has happened (again) what im most amazed by is who has done it. Now I have to ask myself, which of the works on his website are actually his?

Perhaps more to the point is why? If the rest of the work on his website is actually his, then he is clearly showing he has the capable skill to make the artwork, so why spoil the website and his reputation by taking a single image?

01 January 2005
Originally Posted by imashination: psd layered image stretched back out:

Im not shocked that this has happened (again) what im most amazed by is who has done it. Now I have to ask myself, which of the works on his website are actually his?

Perhaps more to the point is why? If the rest of the work on his website is actually his, then he is clearly showing he has the capable skill to make the artwork, so why spoil the website and his reputation by taking a single image?

Good questions! curiousity rapidly arises in me...

01 January 2005
Please guys, stop speculating. Let's just wait for Inthecity to speak up.
Thanks
Srek

01 January 2005
Note that it's 5:38am PST as I write this, so any thought of anyone in San Francisco avoiding the topic is missing the essential fact of Time Zones... Withhold judgment. In a more perfect world this topic would have only one post by now, the initial accusation (less sharply worded), and in a few hours the reply by the person it was intended to, and that's all, because until there's a reply all is half-baked.

01 January 2005
Originally Posted by imashination: ... Perhaps more to the point is why? If the rest of the work on his website is actually his, then he is clearly showing he has the capable skill to make the artwork, so why spoil the website and his reputation by taking a single image?

Confusing indeed.

Based on the work he posted here rebuilding that PowerBook should have taken him no longer than a day or two to model, texture and render ... but the image on his site sure is the same model, including all the flaws (which IMHO would be the hardest to copy when you try and reverse engineer the original render) like screen and case frames, trackpad, keys and power button.

... that being said: Let´s wait for the man himself. Things get out of hand too easily on the Interweb.

cheers

Last edited by brandhoff : 01 January 2005 at 01:56 PM. Reason: voice of reason stepping in

01 January 2005
I got a private message from someone else who also found his models on InTheCitys website, so I guess we can expect that more of the stuff there are indeed stolen.

The person wants to remain anonymous, so dont bother asking who Im talking about or which of the images are stolen. Thanks

Originally Posted by imashination: psd layered image stretched back out:

01 January 2005
Arrrrgh, people. This sort of crap really makes me want to get off CGtalk and go to another forum where people aren't immature enough to constantly accusing each other of stealing itty bitty 3D work that would barely fetch any money in the commercial market.

I've worked around lots of people who build personal Flash sites etc without being fulltime web designers, and the vast majority of them use dummy images grabbed from here and there to fill in blank spots in the site while they're testing the actionscript and navigation, or trying to judge how 'heavy' the finished site will end up being when you load it on computers with different connection speeds et cetera.

In other words, I've been sent site designs by friends before where they ask you to check if the site loads properly, the navigation works for you, etc, etc, and you find that image galleries are filled in with random pics off stock image sites like Corbis, or off some online gallery or Google image search, or the audiotrack of the site is a copyright protected MP3 technotrack standing in for another audiopiece that's gonna go in its place in the final.
This gets done even by commercial web designers. To test whether your new dynamic layout is working or whatever, you grab bits and pieces from elsewhere to fill in while the actual site content is being prepared, formatted, compressed etc, which usually takes a while.

The proper procedure most commercial sites with a lot of traffic follow is to keep the work in progress design in a password protected FTP folder so only people explicitly asked to test it have access. The main 'live' site only gets replaced when the replacement is a 100 percent done. Most people who build small portfolio sites that barely get any traffic don't bother though, since almost nobody sees their site while testing, and just upload their latest 'test site' to where the old site used to be to see how it works/looks, get other people to open it and give feedback, etc.

My guess is that In the City is still building up/testing the site and filled in some generic 3D work from elsewhere to avoid blanks because he hasn't had a chance to format his own portfolio work for the new site layout yet. He simply should have stuck that site in a different FTP folder while he's working on it, that's all.

Its not unusual. I've had friends ask me before if I can lend them a bunch of my images or animations to test their site because their stuff isn't ready/plentiful enough yet.

01 January 2005
This post:
Quote: I got a private message from someone else who also found his models on InTheCitys website, so I guess we can expect that more of the stuff there are indeed stolen.

The person wants to remain anonymous, so dont bother asking who Im talking about or which of the images are stolen. Thanks

Is absolute crap. I understand you are angry, and this guy hasn't spoken up yet, but you have done nothing but fuel the fire WITHOUT showing any proof. "I've got more evidence but can't show you so don't ask and the person won't come forward" is bullsh*t. Simply don't post things like that.

I would give InTheCity the benefit of the doubt, I've seen some of his animation work and it was stunning. The guy has talent, so wait and see.

Have we seen any wireframes or proof of ownership of the original?

01 January 2005
Seems the allegations were correct, thread closed.

Thread Closed share thread