Animation Reels with Motion Captures

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Animation Reels with Motion Captures

If a person who wants to be an animator have used only animation data(bip files) in his/her demo reel to animate his/her character, will he/she still be considered a skillful animator?

02 February 2013
A lot of great animators use mocap, references, or motion data files.

More detail for this case required.

02 February 2013
is call skill mo-cap actor

Last edited by kokwey57 : 02 February 2013 at 08:06 AM.

02 February 2013
It would seem like the answer in most cases would be no.
If I'm looking for someone to purely use bip files, or perhaps capture animation it would be fine. If I'm looking for an animator, then using captured files to save costs is great, but what's going to happen when I need a specific motion that isn't in the library, or can't be captured using mocap.

Unless you are applying to something specific, a lack of keyed animation is not going to do you any favors.

02 February 2013
Would a modeler who only used meshes not created by them be considered a skillful modeler...?
Obviously not.

Using mo-cap exclusively would show absolutely nothing of the person's animation ability, but rather their ability to apply mo-cap files to a rig with several mouse-clicks.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by musashidan: Would a modeler who only used meshes not created by them be considered a skillful modeler...?
Obviously not.

Using mo-cap exclusively would show absolutely nothing of the person's animation ability, but rather their ability to apply mo-cap files to a rig with several mouse-clicks.

I agree. It seems just plain common sense to me.

02 February 2013
I know some game animators who include both motion capture and keyframe animation on their reels, but the mocap is annotated that they've added keyframed animation to the performance when those clips are displayed.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by mr3dguy: what's going to happen when I need a specific motion that isn't in the library, or can't be captured using mocap.

Unless you are applying to something specific, a lack of keyed animation is not going to do you any favors.

interesting, can you give examples of human motions that cannot be captured?

02 February 2013
I don't think it's the case that there's a specific movement mocap can't capture (although it tends to struggle with detailed stuff like fingers for example), but what if you don't have access to a mocap studio and need to get something animated that you don't already have capture data for though?

Here's the real issue with mocap though that rarely seems to get mentioned:

A lot of the various systems for 'do it yourself' mocap kits promise a lot in how they will save you time and money of hiring 'expensive' animators, but they ignore a very basic premise -

That is : crap in = crap out.

To elaborate - most of us, even those who know how to animate by hand and practice the art a lot are not skilled actors, or dancers, or martial arts experts, or gymnasts.
So even if we have the best mocap systems in the world we are not going to produce beautiful animation with it. For one thing we won't move with the grace or style that we usually expect from high quality animation. We may make bad choices about several of the important artistic factors that go into good animation, like staging, posing, timing etc.

This is fresh in my mind as I'm currently doing a workshop with iAnimate and while they encourage us to film our own video reference for our shots they make a very important point about using that reference - you don't just rotoscope your video. You study it, you boil it down to the essence and then you push it, stylize it and enhance it. All in the name of making the motion more appealing, interesting and entertaining.

The same thing applies with mocap. If you just take raw mocap and apply it to a character the results are ugly and boring and lack weight and appeal. A skilled mocap cleanup artist (yes it is a skill, pretty tough work too, I've done it) will do a very similar job to the hand-animator working from video reference, ie they will take what the mocap has given them, use it as a basis and from there they refine it, plus it, and massage it into a compelling performance.

This happens on all the major movies, no one in their right mind just takes raw mocap and puts it on screen, no matter what Andy Serkis might tell you. Directors don't want to talk about this as they want Oscars to put on their shelf, not technical awards for the 'nerds' in the backroom. Oscars translate into bigger budgets for their next movie, technical awards don't.

So, don't believe the hype. If you are watching Avatar or any of the major 'mocap' movies, you are watching animation that originated from actors, but every frame of it has been lovingly crafted into the final performance by a living, breathing, and most importantly thinking animator.

Sorry for the long post but you asked for it asking a question like this before I've had my first coffee of the day

Cheers,
Brian

02 February 2013
In this movie they tried mocap and decided to move all by hand or at least hand correct all mocap datas because it "just didnít look right": Making of Warm Bodies

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by MissOptimist: interesting, can you give examples of human motions that cannot be captured?

I agree with Brian. But to answer your question another way.
Any movement that is 'SuperHuman' or 'SuperAnimal' or simply beyond
what you can get a living creature (the source of your motion capture) to do safely or in a way that doesn't look too cheesy.

A example of this was in the LOTR Two Towers. The Elf Legolas does this impossible move where he grabs a live action horse (running at full gallop) and swings around its neck and onto his back. It happens impossibly fast. Beyond what any cowboy could do. I believe he also had to grab the horse with an unusual manor (i want to say related to the actor's broken arm/wrist or some such). Anyway I think circumstance for the shoot meant 'lets try and fix it in post' as the character had to be on horseback for the next shot. Since elves are beyond human it looks mostly kewl. I didn't really pick up on it until they talked about it on the behind the scenes on the DVD. Then it was obvious they had to keyframe that bit for sure.

And by 'cheesy'. If the actor has the fly around like Superman but-well humans can't do that. And if you look at the older bluescreen era Superman films -really what the actor is able to do 'suspended' against bluescreen is pretty cheesy looking already. So is there any point to motion capturing that?! Not really. So you keyframe something that looks more 'fantastic' instead.

Last edited by circusboy : 02 February 2013 at 04:01 PM.

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread