Rita Hayworth

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Rita Hayworth

Going to give my first CG portrait a go and can use all the advice I can get.

Here's the base mesh in ZBrush - I think I'm on the right track but I know that there are probably a million things that still need to be fixed:

05 May 2013
can you put your reference, so we can compare

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by naves: can you put your reference, so we can compare

Whoops, I guess that would help. It's tough to find the "right" reference since there are so many photos of her over so many years - it makes it tough to get the look just right. Here are two that I've been using the most:

And here is the mesh subdivided a few times - no further editing:

05 May 2013
A little more proportioning and also added in some temporary eyes to help. Made me realize I need to work the anatomy of my eyelids/eye sockets in general so that they fit right.

05 May 2013
I think the nose needs to be wider, the top lip less rounded at the top and fuller, also how many reference images are you working from?

To be honest I dunno too much about Rita Hayworth but I did spend a few moments searching the internet looking at the best images, different angles, some at different ages to maybe help refine your work.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

05 May 2013
i love this woman Rita Hayworth keep on

05 May 2013
Artdigital, thank you for the help - especially those references! I am working with quite a few but it helps to have them all in one place like that. I'll definitely remember to do that from now on.

Some more refinements. It's a lot of very subtle changes but as a whole I think it's definitely improved over the last post. Also don't worry about those ears, I think they'll be replaced with new geometry in Maya:

Edit: still need to fix the lips...

Last edited by astu11 : 05 May 2013 at 04:07 PM.

05 May 2013
Much improved, I think you've got the shape of the nose down but I think it still needs to be wider (and softened), the top lip also look better now though the bottom has a weird pointy look to it and outline shape needs to rounded out. The ears are too small but that's a minor thing compared to getting her look down (which you are headed in that direction I think!)

Here is a small paintover

05 May 2013
Thanks again! Really appreciating the help. Made a (pretty creepy looking) comp test just to see where I am and what I need to fix.

That'll be the pose I'm going for anyway so it's helpful just to see how everything lines up.

05 May 2013
I was thinking it may help to focus on one area (say, the nose) and concentrate on the contours there, look at the nostril shape and broadness of nose. Also have you thought about the level of her smile, as there are varying degrees in the images I have seen, this will also help in relation to the nose.

Here are just a few segments just focusing on her eye/nose area

Thread Closed share thread