default perpective viewport loosing grid and geo

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
default perpective viewport loosing grid and geo

I'm on a Mac (Mac Pro 2008) with 10.6.8 and an ATI Radeon HD 5870 using Maya 2013 sp2

my problem is that when I open a new empty scene using the default maya perspective renderer and go to create a polygon sphere or nurbs sphere (anything really) the perspective grid disappears and the geometry created isn't visible. If I use the high quality viewport the geometry is visible. This happens every time - I was using 2013 with this problem and then updated to SP2 - and the problem remains. I was also having some very buggy behavior using paint effects - getting garbled distortions in the paint effects viewport.
I'm not sure if this problem has been there all along as I hadn't been using Maya for some time (using Modo instead) but now I have a project needing Maya - and running into difficulties with this issue (especially paint effects problems)

Curious if anyone else has experienced this?

02 February 2013
try deleting your userPrefs.mel file and see if your problem remains.

but you should really upgrade to something newer for OS X. AD has been really slow to certify Lion and Mountain Lion systems for Maya but I use 10.8.2 all day with 2013 and it's only got one minor flaw in viewport 2 that Apple is addressing now. This might fix the issue you're seeing.

02 February 2013
Thanks for your help.
I had already tried deleting my user prefs (forgot to mention that)
You're likely right that it is time for me to upgrade my OS. I had wanted to hold out until I got a new Mac Pro - hopefully this year sometime. But these bugs with maya is really problematic for me. I don't have time to deal with upgrading now that I'm in the middle of a big project but I will likely have to do this soon.

In the meantime I will go back to using Maya 2011.5 when doing my paint effects work - and then import into the 2013 when done. 2011.5 or 2011 seemed pretty stable as I recall, I can't remember what version is the most stable. I think I have pretty much every version of Maya since 1.0 (still have the old dongle and printed user guides!)

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread