WIP: Animation test for a job, need urgent critique!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2012
WIP: Animation test for a job, need urgent critique!

Hi everyone!

I'm animating these scene in Maya. I feel it's about done for the most part, just going on to the tweaking now. I'd say it's not too shabby for about roughly 10 hours' work - I realise I mainly have to work on the timing as it stands now.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/6iz7187iau...mpbell_test.mov (right-click > save as...)

Please let me know what you think! The more detailed critique, the better!

12 December 2012
Hi Carl,

I think this looks pretty good, I like how he struggles to climb up. The way he falls down the pit is pretty cool too. Heres some of my observations from your shot...

- I think the timing of it all feels a little even throughout. Especially during the run it feels a bit floaty, he starts the run off fast and then it kind of slows down a little. I think it may be better to increase his speed or keep it closer to that first stride he takes.

-It looks like his right arm goes through the body on frame 174-176. I think the right foot also may go through the floor around 180-181, but I'm not totally sure.

- On the last contact before the jump, I think the left leg kind of sticks in a straight out position, maybe try bending it a little on f 218. Around that same spot I think the heel stays up for a couple frames too long, maybe try having it hit the floor flat a little earlier.

- When he doesnt make the jump and is slipping down, I might try making the arms slide back a little quicker so it really looks like hes losing his grip. Then on the way up maybe add a couple frames to show more of a struggle as he pulls himself up.

Hope that helps, and good luck with the job!

12 December 2012
Hi! Thanks a lot for your comments

I realise there are loads of issues with timing currently. Since I posted most of these have been corrected (it's still proving to be my weakness!). Thanks for the advice regarding the edge hanging though, I'll be sure to bear those in mind

12 December 2012
Pretty cool animation, I'm not into animation itself more into lighting, but it looks like you can add a little more exaggeration to the actions being made by the character, a few spots look choppy, keep cleaning it up, overall great job!

12 December 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread