Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
MisterS
seeking knowledge

portfolio
David Spittle
Civil Design Drafter
Brisbane, Australia

Possible to bind Symmetry mirror in Max?

I have not found a solution to an old problem.

To be honest I haven't delved much into rigging. But I have skinned a spline, then added a symmetry modifier. This is parented to a dummy.

I then applied a symmetry modifier but if I rotate the dummy, the original spline stays with the rest of my geometry, where as the other rotates off in the opposite direction.

It looks like the mirror plane is remaining where it was originally.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
Zhalktis
Workaround dept.
portfolio
Julius Gerulaitis
rigging & animation
Kaunas, Lithuania

Is there a reason for having it deformed by skin before making it symmetrical?.. One would likely want the opposite order of events. Similar to how morpher is usually added under the skin modifier, not on top of it (first make a facial expression, then deform that head to bones, NOT move the bone-deformed head's vertices to the original positions of the morph target). First try changing the order of the modifiers if this was not intentional.

I can't replicate your result - mirror gizmo follows the object's pivot by default. Maybe you had the spline skinned to the dummy rather than the object linked to the dummy. But if you really need to move the mirror modifier's gizmo, you can wire its position/rotation/scale to that of another object. Just have in mind that position/rotation/scale axes and values are in parent's space; in modifier's case it is the object's pivot, while in another object's case it is that object's parent. You shouldn't need to do it, but it's good to know that the option is there.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
MisterS
seeking knowledge

portfolio
David Spittle
Civil Design Drafter
Brisbane, Australia

It's a little hazy how I set it up to be honest as I've not touched the project for a couple of months.

I recall that I drew a spline between two points on the boom arm of a Caterpillar excavator (in my signature). I positioned it so it sagged and looked natural.

I then drew some bones, snapping to the spline, I've actually done this for several hoses and I used a combination of Hi and Spline solvers.

I then skinned the result using the spline and I added a symmetry modifier to produce an identical result on the opposite side of the boom.

I've literally redone these 10 times and I can't resolve my problems.

What would be the best way to do it? Sometimes my bones and IKs end up at 0,0,0 too.

Sorry if the above is vague I've never rigged/skinned a spline before this. I'm still not sure exactly where I'm going wrong or why the different problems are occurring.

Last edited by MisterS : 09-20-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

Old 09-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
Zhalktis
Workaround dept.
portfolio
Julius Gerulaitis
rigging & animation
Kaunas, Lithuania

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterS
I then skinned the result using the spline and I added a symmetry modifier to produce an identical result on the opposite side of the boom.

Move skin modifier to the top of stack, just under TurboSmooth/MeshSmooth. If you have symmetry ON skin modifier, you're basically taking the deformed mesh and then mirroring it.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread