CGTalk > WIP > WIP/Critique: 2D
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #1
hegzer

portfolio
Tomek Pietrzyk
Cracow, Poland

Aether Wizard. First steps in digital art spare advice!

Finally have my tablet and im so excited to move my works to digital world, here is my first achievment:

Last edited by hegzer : 04-06-2014 at 11:15 PM. Reason: title

Old 04-07-2014, 09:25 PM   #2
hegzer

portfolio
Tomek Pietrzyk
Cracow, Poland

cant decide how armor should look like

Old 04-09-2014, 05:09 AM   #3
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

It's very important to plan out the entire image in thumbnail sketches first, so you know exactly what should be in the composition and work out all the potential problems. Layout the whole image with background, characters, how the various shapes balance the composition, as well as do concept sketches to work out the design of your characters and environments if you have no idea how to proceed next. The more you explore your visual narrative and treat it like you are a storyteller and movie director who's carefully planning the scene and how it should look and feel, the lighting, the color palette, the perspective, the expressions, the body language, etc, the more confident you'll feel during its execution. One of the most common mistakes that less experienced artists make is to not do enough preparation when working on a painting, so just by being more prepared and explore your idea in depth, you'll increase the chances of the piece turning out well.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
hegzer

portfolio
Tomek Pietrzyk
Cracow, Poland

That was helpful, thanks man!
Im tryin to build a whole story to get the sneak peak of how her envoirment should look like.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:25 AM   #5
Willr0y
portfolio
Brisbane, Australia

Woah, how much experience did you have with traditional before moving onto digital? This is amazing for someone new to digital, perhaps you were already skilled with the software?

Old 04-10-2014, 11:11 PM   #6
LordSlipp

portfolio
Philadelphia, United%2BStates

Talking

Your first try? Or the first thing that you think looks pretty darn awesome? This is really amazing, I love it at least. But I agree that it's really helpful to plan things in a thumbnail sketch before hand. I've seen many people do this, and I will be trying it out as well. The reflective light is also really good. But I do think that you should add more of that soft blue light to her face, not too much, I think it would still hit a little under her eyes and forehead if I'm not mistaken. Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still doing light studies myself.

Great job overall!

Old 04-13-2014, 07:15 PM   #7
hegzer

portfolio
Tomek Pietrzyk
Cracow, Poland

I was so busy about learning how tablet works, that i trully forgot the magic of composition : P Im watching tutorials on youtube and checking every "cool" trick i can make. Those hair was made in 3 hours or more haha i was so confused cause all of those brushes.

About Lightning its all changed now cause first color i used was not printable. (diffrence was so drastic)
and ofc the envoirment will cast some light on her so lets wait with it till its all set up.

Old 04-18-2014, 05:28 AM   #8
DorothyTRose
The Magician

portfolio
Dorothy T. Rose
Artist
Oklahoma City, USA

Send a message via AIM to DorothyTRose
About printing:

Your home printer uses CMYK (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and..."black"). Your monitor, however, is RGB (Red, Green, Blue) and can produce colours that your printer cannot. However! Professional printers do not use standard CMYK and, therefore, can get pretty darn close to what you see on your monitor. So, if you want to print in CMYK, I suggest setting your image to that mode and continuing that way. The colour picker will still be a little frustrating, since it'll show all the lovely RGB colours you can't use, but at least you'll know that what you paint, a CMYK printer can reproduce.

On the other hand, if you want all those lovely colours you can actually see, then keep your image in RGB and just get a professional printer to make your prints. Any photo center will be able to get closer than your home printer can.

Here's a free tip I try to give everyone who's new to digital work:

SAVE OFTEN! You cannot save your work too often. Think about how much work you can stand to lose if you have an unexpected power outage. That's how often you should save.

Last edited by DorothyTRose : 04-18-2014 at 05:31 AM.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #9
LilyBooger
portfolio

Wow, you're new when it comes to digital art and you're still better than me! Really great use of light reflection, and it looks great so far. I agree on starting with a thumbnail or an idea of the whole image to get a better composition - something I need to start doing myself because it can quickly end up in having a foreground and background that doesn't really look too good together.

I don't have much to say except that I'm wondering if you should change the angle of the head and neck, or move the characters left shoulder a little? Either a little bit down or to the right and the arm down (as if the body's weight on the left side is pushed down while she's sprinting). At least I think that could help (if it was understandable, haha).

Anyways, hope you'll upload more steps of your process or you finished product 'cause it looks like it'll turn out great!

reply share thread