CGTalk > Software > Autodesk 3ds max
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-13-2014, 05:58 AM   #1
sentinel9
portfolio

Help - Same displacement parameter but renders differently on two objects ?

Hi, i know im new here but i've searched around and no info about this. So i think ill post here hoping for some1 could help me? Really appreciate.
I have two separate polygons, add a same uvw map. I then apply a same displacement material.
What frustrating is the final render shows out the displacement apply differently on every object ! I dont know where did i do wrong.
Hope some1 has an idea. Here's the work view

Old 04-13-2014, 06:26 AM   #2
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

Is one object scaled? That probably modifies the displacement amount. You would need to Reset X-Form on both objects and then test.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:31 AM   #3
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

You should also lower the displacement amount. If it's too high the map will break at UV/smoothing group borders.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #4
sentinel9
portfolio

@musashidan : Thanks for the advice. I magnify it for easier to see when i'm testing. My bad bitmap sure makes some nasty areas
I'm trying to figure out how to close the exposed edges because of the displacement aswell, hope it to be like this

@darthviper : I did a test hours ago. I created two boxes with the same size. One then i scaled it to double. The bitmap that added to the scaled box sure has been scaled aswell, so i make its uvw map smaller by half.

My aim is to make the bitmap has the same size on two objects, so displacement will be the same aswell.

The result is sweet and predictable. The image below shows that displacement apply uniformly with the uvw map, aswell with the scaled factor on the box.
So i think my problem is not in the object scale.

In my problem, the workview shows that the bitmap is added correctly similar to each other. But the displace effect just gone strangely

Sure i have to find another solution, but just want to know what has caused this.

reply share thread