Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 10-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
Hagroth
Explorer
portfolio
Joel
Stockholm, Sweden

8192x8192 isn't enough for even half my model?

Hey,

I'm making a Viking ship, my first model, in 3ds max, and I thought I'd aim for the stars and go for a 8192x8192 UVW map since you can always scale it down. But now that I'm finished with the deck, it's turned out not even 8192x8192, which is extremely high according to most people, provides enough sharpness for me even though I've gone to extreme lengths at optimizing my UVW map. Most of it looks ok (considering it's supposed to be at a scale of about 6 meters/yards in width (this shows only half the ship, so three meters/yards), but in the bottom right, even though the "camera" or "view" is situated about half a yard/meter from the surface, it looks very blurry.

Just take a look at this picture, featuring the combination of my diffuse and spec level maps in 3ds max along with a view of the actual map in Photoshop:

http://i.imgur.com/xUCV0.jpg

And no, it's not that the original image I used to create the diffuse map was low-res, it's already scaled-down even on this 8192x8192 map.

So am I overlooking something? Should I make a 16384x16384 map? And this is just half of the ship's body, excluding the mast, sail etc.!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Old 10-08-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
oglu
Christoph Schädl

portfolio
Christoph Schädl
Austria

is this for game art or for rendering..?
if its for a game i would go for several tileable textures and break the diling with some unique textures and maybe a blend shader...

if this is for rendering i would use uv tiles and 50 or more 4k maps... you could do everything unique but this will end up in a lot of work...

Old 10-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

If you don't render but use a realtime view then your map is way too large. Not really sure about the exact numbers but 3ds Max doesn't support anything above 2048*2048 in the viewport.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
StSabath
Shapeshifter

portfolio
Bjorn Seinstra
Senior Artist
Time Warner
United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to StSabath
As stated above (and on polycount),using tileables is the way to go in this case.
Absolutely no need for a map that big.In game production you would get shot for using that resolution lol.
Seriously though,you would be better off by having the bespoke parts on bespoke texture sheets,and have the wood on tileable,maybe even use 1x woodtexture tileable,and 1x trimsheet,and have the bespoke assets on individual sheets.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
Hagroth
Explorer
portfolio
Joel
Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by StSabath
As stated above (and on polycount),using tileables is the way to go in this case.
Absolutely no need for a map that big.In game production you would get shot for using that resolution lol.
Seriously though,you would be better off by having the bespoke parts on bespoke texture sheets,and have the wood on tileable,maybe even use 1x woodtexture tileable,and 1x trimsheet,and have the bespoke assets on individual sheets.

Hahaha, yeah, I understand that now that I see how you can use tileable textures. All right, I'll just UVW-map parts that require more specific detail, like the dragon's head and things like that. I think I'll cut the deck into polygons so the planks are geometrically separated and assign them to different tiling textures out of the ten or so I'll create, using the multi sub-object materials approach.

Question is, how many different 1024 or 2048 textures to use for tiling would be reasonable if I want to be able to perhaps implement my model in a game like Skyrim later?

Old 10-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
StSabath
Shapeshifter

portfolio
Bjorn Seinstra
Senior Artist
Time Warner
United Kingdom

for that use a reference model,i dont know skyrim inside out,but see if you can find out what they used for asset with a similar size.
different games different specs..

Old 10-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
Hagroth
Explorer
portfolio
Joel
Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
for that use a reference model,i dont know skyrim inside out,but see if you can find out what they used for asset with a similar size.
different games different specs..

True, I got a great reply regarding Skyrim in specific here from the user ghosu in case anyone's interested: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.p...used-in-skyrim/
(The second last post on that page.)

He went into the Skyrim Contruction Kit and showed how they did one of the ships in Skyrim.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Absolutely no need for a map that big.

Well no, that's not really true. Sure, it's appropriate for a game asset but speaking more broadly, for the sake of discussion, if you're going to be getting really close to your model and its textures in a shot, then you need texture maps large enough to ensure a crisp look up close, and that means using large texture maps. Working with 16k maps, however, can be a pain as painting apps tend to slow to a chug when dealing with such a large single document. The best solution is to use multiple UV tiles, which is standard in a film VFX scenario.

I recently worked on a show where it was common for a single asset to have over 100 separate UV tiles, each with a set of 8k maps applied to it. Another example is the Kraken beast in the Clash of the Titan remake a few years back; I remember looking into the texture directory for that when I was doing some tweaks to its head, and the asset was using somewhere in the region of 1300 8k maps, also split over about 100 tiles.

So there are indeed many scenarios where 8k, and often many tiles of those 8k maps, is absolutely needed.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #9
StSabath
Shapeshifter

portfolio
Bjorn Seinstra
Senior Artist
Time Warner
United Kingdom

Im very much aware of that Leigh,but as stated hes trying to get it into Skyrim..

Ok Ok..My sentence should have said:
"Absolutely no need for a map that big,..... for use in a game engine,like Bethesda's Engine...
lol

Old 10-19-2012, 04:56 AM   #10
ShawnDriscoll
Have Render Will Travel

portfolio
Shawn Driscoll
San Diego, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagroth
Just take a look at this picture, featuring the combination of my diffuse and spec level maps in 3ds max along with a view of the actual map in Photoshop:

http://i.imgur.com/xUCV0.jpg

And no, it's not that the original image I used to create the diffuse map was low-res, it's already scaled-down even on this 8192x8192 map.

So am I overlooking something? Should I make a 16384x16384 map? And this is just half of the ship's body, excluding the mast, sail etc.!

Thanks a lot in advance!

I'll ignore that the UV map textures do not match the textures in the perspective view. But this looks more like an OpenGL render than a Max render. So that would cause blurred texturing in the perspective views.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:56 AM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread