|02 February 2013||#1|
Big Animation Pvt. Ltd.
Simple Rigg problms
I have some character rigging problems.in Maya 2009. Thank you very much in advance for your time.
1) Some time In my stretchy ik leg setup if i undo after stretching joints they dont come back to the proper position. if i zero out values in channel box and press enter they just snap to right position .looks like not evaluating properly ( tried with node and expression both have same type of results).
2) Right way of making controllers for animators so that they can copy and paste left to right keys in hand ,leg ,fingers etc....without using any downloaded tool.(select the R controller copy select the L controller paste).
3) Correct way of cleaning the outliner. i have seen many with different hierarchy so i am confused which one to use in production.
4) Adding blend shapes after skinning. changing blend shape to calculate after skinning in input does not work every time.( Any solution for creating blend shapes so that we can do changes in base mesh and blend shapes after skinning.
5) while facial rigging which one is fast ,effective and less complicated. joints ,blend shapes or curve based facial rigging.
6) Any free good character Riggs which you thing is good to study not very complex but effective enough.
|02 February 2013||#2|
Join Date: Jan 2013
I an only answer your last question because I am new to Maya:
Some rigs I found good to study (I am going to school for game modeling, so they are low poly) are the hero models for Dota 2 that you can get from the Steam Workshop.
Here is the link... you don't even need an account to download the models it looks like
|02 February 2013||#4|
Join Date: Jul 2008
though i myself a newbie in this gr8 world of Rigging, but i'll try to answer the doubts which i can...
1. i've come across such problem when therz some improper constraining or SDK issues, try looking the working of FK, IK joint chain acting upon base joint chain... i suppose u must be using the conventional 3 joint chain setup wid parent constraints.... may be there lies the problem...
2. abt making Controllers - a gud way of creating a controller, grouping it to itself and then temporarily constraining the group to the desired joint. when the group is properly oriented to the joint to be controlled, delete the constraint. this will allign the ctrl properly with the joint. Since the skeleton is "usually" created using Maya's Mirror Joints option, the controls will be automatically be mirror of each other... remember to keep a grp above the ctrl as an offset....
3. Outliner management is (i suppose) pretty personal thing... some ppl try to keep things classified as animation ctrls, joints, blendshapes, geometries etc, while some others work more in practical way keeping different segments like torso, arms, legs, head etc in separate grps.. therez no standard and "one n only" way, u'll hv to give it a try...
4. for facial setup, i recently started using this method - skin the body, (however u want wid the help of deformers etc) then duplicate just the head mesh n create blndShp from it..(as much as u want ) and when u r done, jst wrap deform the duplicated mesh (with blendshapes on it) to the main mesh...
AND YESSSSS- dont forget to keep the wrap deformer below the skin cluster node in the deformer stack...
5. i think each has its own pros n cons, while joint n curve based facial rigging is fast and gives more control over the blendshapes, they are more inconsistent.. like if u have different characters, having different expressions, n u hav to keep them consistent through out the project, u cant hv that consistency in case of joints or curves... but yes they give us even minute control... so i personally use a combination of both....
6. any good rig tends to be a bit complex... plus it's a bit hard to decode someone else' rig (especially for a newbie like me ) but yes, if u hav some basics of rigging, they'll definitely help u a lot in making u comfortable in the foreign land... : D try some online tuts on rigging... they'll definitely help u a lot...
I hope i was clear in my xplaination n maybe helpful to a certain extent...
Last edited by manimalhotra : 02 February 2013 at 08:16 PM.
|02 February 2013||#5|
Join Date: Sep 2003
Thread automatically closed
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
|Thread Closed share thread|