Help on proper way to Orient Joints?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Help on proper way to Orient Joints?

Hi,
I'm relatively new at rigging and scripting. I thought I knew how to orient joints by using a script online but using the script doesn't really get the results. Supposedly when joints are properly oriented, there should only be values on one of the translate axis. If there are two or more, it's not properly oriented.

I've heard of parenting and zeroing out the values of the child node, but not exactly sure how that leads to properly oriented joints.

Could anyone please help me with this problem?

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Hi,
Try http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/d...int-orient-tool
Rgds,
prem

Old 01 January 2013   #3
Originally Posted by augizzle: Supposedly when joints are properly oriented, there should only be values on one of the translate axis.

Not always, it's properly oriented when it behaves the way you want. Take the case of legs aside, you don't want the hips to be oriented to go aside too (it would be a lot of pain for animators), but in front, like world axes.

So keep in mind the purpose of orient axes.

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Originally Posted by mrxzof: Not always, it's properly oriented when it behaves the way you want. Take the case of legs aside, you don't want the hips to be oriented to go aside too (it would be a lot of pain for animators), but in front, like world axes.

So keep in mind the purpose of orient axes.

Thanks guys.

This makes sense but I was told that if it wasn't oriented the way said, with values going into one axis, things like IKs and spline IKs are very unpredictable and will freak out when you bend it too far. This has happened to me before.

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Does this help with making sure all your length axes are z and all the twists are x? I always forget that and it seems very hard to fix after the bone is created.

Old 02 February 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread