250 out of work as Gameloft suddenly shuts down its India studio

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
250 out of work as Gameloft suddenly shuts down its India studio

Quote:
"On the same day that Gameloft's company heads boasted to investors and journalists of its 27 percent revenue growth in 2012, the entirety of its India studio was told to pack up and go home.

Over 250 game developers are out of work from Gameloft's Hyderabad studio, Gamasutra is told. Worse, the company allegedly asked its employees to sign a note lying about their resignations being voluntary.

"

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ndia_studio.php
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

02 February 2013
Thats just terrible, hopefully some of those people could get together and develop some indie games.

02 February 2013
Just goes to show that no studio is safe, regardless of the country they are operating in. Although it is unlikely that the "voluntary resignations" would even be attempted in most other countries.

02 February 2013
Good for me...

Getting myself out of the CGI industry has been about the 4th best thing I've ever done in my life.

02 February 2013
the beginning of the end...they wont be the last.

02 February 2013
I heard a few companies in India have come to the rescue offering them jobs. Sad to see 250 let go and then being asked to sign a BS waiver is the cherry on the top of that crap sundae.

02 February 2013
Hey puzzle, do you mind sharing the industry you decided to get into.

02 February 2013
I don't get how this can happen. I mean the idea of having the studio in India is probably because of very much lower wages compared to in the West. So how much cheaper do they they think it can get when they are already at the bottom of the barrel?

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Puzzle3d: Getting myself out of the CGI industry has been about the 4th best thing I've ever done in my life.

What was the first best? Getting married? Winning the lottery?

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Dillster: I don't get how this can happen. I mean the idea of having the studio in India is probably because of very much lower wages compared to in the West. So how much cheaper do they they think it can get when they are already at the bottom of the barrel?

It could be like other companies, that have found that outsourcing isn't all it's cracked up to be, but that may not have anything to do with this particular case.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by Puzzle3d: Getting myself out of the CGI industry has been about the 4th best thing I've ever done in my life.

so what are you doing now since you are no longer in the CGI industry?
what were the problems/problem?

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread