Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 11-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #31
PexElroy
Light without Heat

portfolio
Rob Fiduccia
Visual FX Artist/TD
United%2BStates

this is awesome work, and your tools to sculpt the dunes, very nice. i like your concept layout as well.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:46 AM   #32
gustavoeb
Veteran
portfolio
Gustavo Boehs
Fpolis, Brazil

long time

Ok back from my trip, for some more work on this scene. I'm trying to do most things I dont get to do in the daily basis here, so I thought some clouds should come next. I dont know if this whirlpool is just too much, but Ill leave it for now.

Here is a still of how it should look like composited. Looking at it one definetly feels the need for the projected shadow of this clouds... that should come next.

And here is a test animation:

Old 11-14-2012, 01:52 AM   #33
gustavoeb
Veteran
portfolio
Gustavo Boehs
Fpolis, Brazil

more lookdev

So, in the last days I have tried to focus a bit on lookdev... here is what I got:

End of the month is looking like it is going to be busy, and there is still so much to be done in general in this scene. Probably wont be able to achieve everything I want... oh well

Old 11-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #34
gustavoeb
Veteran
portfolio
Gustavo Boehs
Fpolis, Brazil

Ok so a bit more work in all this endeavor... I realised the colors of my last image sucked, so I follow a previous adviced given to me in this thread and went back to my refernces. Much has changes, I think it is much better:

As for simulations, Ive been playing in 2 different fronts for now, sand and ropes. Sand is pretty straight forward, some wind, atractors and turbulences, done. Ropes were more of a pain, because there is just too much of them. There are many ways to do this in SI, but in many of them you have to tediously add simulation to each curve. I need too much of them, all under the same roof.
I found this great compound by Fabricio Chamon called Power Extrude. It does extrusion on many curves at once (as long as they belong to the same object). I've opened it up and changed some stuff. Instead of creating polygons I want it to create strands. Strands is what you use in ICE when you need, hair,

curves, and stuff...
Here is how it looked:

So I removed the part that was generating polygons and started emmitting strands instead:

Strands differ from curves in the sence that they are always constrained to a particle. Since the first point will always be a particle there is no sence in storing that data again in the description of the strand. So self.PointPosition will give you the position of the particle and self.StrandPosition will return an array of positions, that descrives the strand:

In order to create the strand information correctly then you need to know that. Some clever use of arrays will go a long way too. Here you can see how I set up the initial data for this strands. It all boils down to having two arrays, one with the first n-1 points and one with the last n-1 points. Whenyou use math nodes in ICE all items are affected, therefore if you subtract one array by the other you will get the lengths in between points, you can also get the angles between them, and all that good

stuff:

Ok. Maybe it is a lot of info at once, but it is not that hard really. And keep in mind that most of the work was done for me already. Great thing is you can open other peoples compounds, grab what you need and combine with whatever else. Simulation is very straight forward. Just use the strand framework and adjust settings to your liking.

In the post simulation region you can see Ive created my own little constraint for the end of the strands. I just pop the last point in the StrandPositions array from the last frame and use it in the current one:

Enough talking here is how it looks:

Now I need to simulate the cloth, as you can see earlier in this thread I had a little proof of concept going on. Still I want to lay more cloth objects around the scene like flags and stuff, got to prep those...

Scale is looking a bit weird, right? What do you guys think?

Old 11-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #35
DanFX
Veteran

portfolio
Dan Chamberlin
FX Artist
Blur Studio
Los Angeles, USA

Lookin' pretty cool. I really like the sand that skims along the ground and towards the tower. Has a pretty natural feel to it. Maybe a little strange once it gets to the top of the tower, but based at your still images, that looks like it'll be covered by bright glowing clouds anyhow.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #36
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread