Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 10-18-2016, 04:45 PM   #1
BernieB
Explorer
portfolio
Bernard Bunuan
Las Pinas City, Philippines

How do I bridge these two sets of polygons?

I've been playing more with the topology tool. I know that after I've pressed "Enter" it creates what I've drawn. But how to I bridge two separate sets of polygons? It won't let me select both of them.

UPDATE: Nevermind. I discovered that there was a duplicate of the set on the left underneath and it was part of the polygons on the right. It happened because the topology tool still remembered the strokes I've been drawing so far. So I just deleted the first set I drew and bridged the polygons all belonging to the same object.

So I could basically draw the whole head without exiting the topology tool.

Last edited by BernieB : 10-18-2016 at 04:58 PM.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:13 PM   #2
pming
PRO

Paul L. Ming
Canada

Hiya!

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but maybe this will help: When you want to Bridge two 'things' together, they each have to be a part of the same model. So go into Object mode (not Edge/Poly/Vertex), Shift-Click on both to have both parts selected. Then you need to Merge the pieces. Now you should be able to select the polygons or edges and Bridge them.

One thing to be aware of, however, is that when you get to a point where you are going to create a 'triangle' and not a quad, you will have to select the three vertices and use the Append Polygon tool. Silo doesn't like to bridge two edges when the polygon to be created shares a vertex.

PS: Nice interface! Clean and bright. I wish there was a place to share Silo interfaces... Silo's ability to totally customize the GUI is one of it's big strengths, and almost nobody does it. Probably because of the work to do so, hence, it would be nice to have a place where others could upload their GUI's for others to DL. One of these days I'm going to make myself both a "Hexagon" and a "Softimage|XSI" GUI. One day...maybe...ok, slim chance...but it's a nice thought.

Paul L. Ming

Last edited by pming : 10-18-2016 at 05:17 PM.

Old 10-19-2016, 01:20 AM   #3
BernieB
Explorer
portfolio
Bernard Bunuan
Las Pinas City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by pming
Hiya!

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but maybe this will help: When you want to Bridge two 'things' together, they each have to be a part of the same model. So go into Object mode (not Edge/Poly/Vertex), Shift-Click on both to have both parts selected. Then you need to Merge the pieces. Now you should be able to select the polygons or edges and Bridge them.

One thing to be aware of, however, is that when you get to a point where you are going to create a 'triangle' and not a quad, you will have to select the three vertices and use the Append Polygon tool. Silo doesn't like to bridge two edges when the polygon to be created shares a vertex.

Thanks. When I was experimenting with the Topology Tool I didn't realize it doesn't continue from the same object I'm working on after I press "Enter". It can remember the lines I've drawn before but it'll just serve for the next polygons I'd create.

Old 10-19-2016, 02:59 PM   #4
makit3d
"Title Not Included"

portfolio
Richard Allen
USA

Quote:
I wish there was a place to share Silo interfaces
There used to be other UI designs you could download from the old forum. Since Nevercenter shut that down it's no longer accessible. I might have one or two in my Silo folder. I'll do some digging today to see if I can find them.

Hopefully others have some archived somewhere.

Old 10-20-2016, 02:08 PM   #5
makit3d
"Title Not Included"

portfolio
Richard Allen
USA

I found some UI's from a previous Silo release.These are old but they may still work to help you customize your own UI. They are in a .zip file that is approximately 2.2mb.

Silo UI's

Old 10-21-2016, 01:33 AM   #6
pming
PRO

Paul L. Ming
Canada

Hiya!

Thanks! Just DL'ed them and I'll try and delve into them tonight or tomorrow.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Old 10-21-2016, 06:37 PM   #7
makit3d
"Title Not Included"

portfolio
Richard Allen
USA

I used them at one time but found I preferred the text instead of the icon. No guesses. Plus, I have another monitor that all the palettes I use less are placed while the most important are docked. The brighter colors and icons tended to distract me and once the interface was cleaned up and most icons removed my production actually increased. Of course, it helped that I had most of my kb shortcuts figured out.

Here is what I typically have set up:

Last edited by makit3d : 10-21-2016 at 06:56 PM.

reply share thread