Old 08-28-2013, 12:56 AM   #2
Rickmeister
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Rick vd S
Compositor
Method Studios
Australia

I must say I am a big fan of doing as much as possible in-camera. It just looks so much more detailed and believable. And their still will be tons of work left for us VFX artists.

I thought WETA always played a big role in Blomkamp's films. Am I wrong? I thought because he was mentored by Peter Jackson they would stick with weta.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:05 AM   #3
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickmeister
I must say I am a big fan of doing as much as possible in-camera. It just looks so much more detailed and believable. And their still will be tons of work left for us VFX artists.

I thought WETA always played a big role in Blomkamp's films. Am I wrong? I thought because he was mentored by Peter Jackson they would stick with weta.

Verbally they say "do as much in camera". But the actual footage looked more like 50-50.

Stuff like the Malibu helicopter shot, HALF the screen is changed out with CG version of Elysium. All footage with moving robots features grey-suit motion capture.

Various vehicles like helicopters replaced with totally CG aircraft.

I feel that "per-pixel on screen"... the guy who does the most in-camera "Effects" work that is retained in final print as an "Effect" is probably Michael Bay. For the highway scene in Transformers for example, the Bus splitting in half is in-camera, the explosion is in-camera and in the car park scene the "tossed car" is also in-camera.

Not saying he is superior to Blomkamp or whatever, but just saying Elysium felt 50-50 (which in my personal view is the best ratio to use today to nail our realism).

I think if one pretty much buys the production manual to Elysium, that's a gold mine of solutions for every film you can make for the next few years.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:13 AM   #4
Rickmeister
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Rick vd S
Compositor
Method Studios
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
Verbally they say "do as much in camera". But the actual footage looked more like 50-50.

Stuff like the Malibu helicopter shot, HALF the screen is changed out with CG version of Elysium. All footage with moving robots features grey-suit motion capture.

Various vehicles like helicopters replaced with totally CG aircraft.

I feel that "per-pixel on screen"... the guy who does the most in-camera work that is retained in final print is probably Michael Bay. For the highway scene in Transformers for example, the Bus splitting in half is in-camera, the explosion is in-camera and in the car park scene the "tossed car" is also in-camera.

Not saying he is superior to Blomkamp or whatever, but just saying Elysium felt 50-50 (which in my personal view is the best ratio to use today to nail our realism).

I think if one pretty much buys the production manual to Elysium, that's a gold mine of solutions for every film you can make for the next few years.

I am not to sure if Michael Bay is the one that has the most in camera stuff, haha, but I guess its more about the mindset here than the actual filmed footage vs the final image comparison. Oblivion for example, using an improved version of "rear-projection" looked absolutely amazing, but those projected images are still very much created by artists. Still, its how its been implemented that made it so seamless. I guess there is only so much you can actually capture in-camera and still make it financially viable.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:08 AM   #5
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

The thing about Oblivion rear screen projection is that it was a very specific solution.

I can see it working in particular situations, such as maybe if you were doing the finale of Ghostbusters today.

It definitely would have made reacting to "Death Star destroys my homeworld" a lot easier and more spontaneous. Retakes would be a snap.

In some cases it would be limiting to force things in camera, or even to try to project "another world" in rear screens, not to mention the SIZE some of these screens would need to do their thing. The Oblivion scenario seemed pretty much contained (ie: One Pinewood-sized soundstage?)

Old 08-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
NetMapel
Student

portfolio
Mei
Digital Artist
ILM
Vancouver, Canada

Haha... they got Shawn and Peter's name reversed in the interviews :P

Old 08-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel
Haha... they got Shawn and Peter's name reversed in the interviews :P

Now that's one for the IMDB Trivia page!

Old 08-28-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread