CGTalk > Techniques > Character Rigging
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 12-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
jabalpur, India
skinning workflow doubt

i've recently completed rigging one of my models and now i want to skin it... i have developed my control rig using the proxy geometry (simple geometry parenting)... now i have to skin it... I have a mid res version with 8733 polygons and a high res model with 29964 polygons... if i skin the low res one, do i have to do it again for the hi res one? when shud i smooth my character, after or before i apply all my deformations and skinning?
plz help me in developing my skinning workflow... wat steps u ppl take? thanx in advance...
Old 12-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
Prem Anand Earnest Dhass
Team Lead Rigging
Technicolor India
Bangalore, India
Send a message via Yahoo to shinyprem
You can skin the midRes and then copySkin(maya) or skinWrap (max) to the HiRes after binding skeleton to the hires mesh.
Download vehicleRigGenerator @
Old 12-10-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
jabalpur, India
thanx a lot Prem, I'll surely give it a try... i was also thinking of the trying the following workflow, plz hav a luk and tell me if it's ok...

- skin the complete body
- duplicate it and separate the head and rest of the body
- bind the new meshes(the head and the body) with the same skeleton
- copy the skin weights of the original mesh (the combined one) to the head and the body, that way, we'll have no seam problem in the neck area and the head will be free for the blendshape generation

hope this works too, without any problem...
Old 12-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #4
City, Afghanistan
You know what's even easier than that? How about you don't split the head off from the body?

I've seen quite a few threads of this lately, it is such an unnecessary complication in my opinion. Just keep the entire body / head as one mesh, sculpt & add your blendshapes, done.

Are you worried about slowdowns? Blendshapes are cheap! And I'm pretty sure that verts that don't move relative to the base mesh aren't computed anyway.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread